I'd like to thank the above authors for their descriptions of replacement sectors, and for inspiring me to explain it further...

Typically, the manufacturer of a disk allocates a number of replacement sectors on each track (and a few replacement tracks) in the hopes that when a bad sector is found, a near by replacement sector can be used instead to "repair" it.

Despite claims of the above writeups, it is possible and useful for a user to affect replacement sector use on a modern disk. This can be done either by triggering the drive's low level format mechanism, or by using manufacturer supplied repair utilities.

If a disk runs out of replacement sectors, the simplest (although most drastic) way to fix this is to low level format the disk. Typically, this involves getting a disk diagnostic utility to give the low level format command to the disk, which will cause it to scan itself for bad sectors, and then map the remaining good physical sectors into a virtual track arrangement, with enough replacement sectors in each virtual track for future needs. I have several old IDE disks I have done this to multiple times; each time I low level format it, the drive gets a little smaller. All modern hard drives use constant linear density (similar to CLV), so the mapping between track/sector numbers typically has very little to do with physical tracks and sectors (other than continuity) anyway.

The Sun Solaris format utility has provisions to change the number of reserved replacement sectors and replacement tracks during low level formatting of SCSI disks. However, I doubt many disks pay attention to this info. It probably can only really be set at the factory when the factory low level formats it, or when they write its firmware. Even so, low level formatting the disk will still redistribute the replacement sectors.

For modern disks, most disk manufacturers provide diagnostic utilities (on their web site and/or on a floppy sold with the drive) which will remap bad sectors that are not automatically remapped. These utilities typically also accesses the drive's S.M.A.R.T. data, and uses this as a first pass to guess which sectors to repair. Use of these utilities is not restricted to advanced users. Most companies typically recommend you try these utilities before RMA'ing your drive. IBM's disk warranty web page even includes instructions "written for new or inexperienced users".

A quick survey of manufacturers found references to repair software available for download from their web sites:

IBM
Drive Fitness Test, Ontrack Data Advisor
Western Digital
Data Lifeguard
Seagate
SeaTools or Ontrack Data Advisor