Scrooge McDuck was born in 1867 in Glasgow, Scotland. He earned his "first dime I ever owned" in 1877 for shining some incredibly mucky boots (yes, he got paid an American dime, in Glasgow). He left for America in 1880.

In 1898, McDuck was a prospector in the Klondike. Through good prospecting and thrift he saved his first million dollars by the next year, and bought Kill Mule Hill (now Killmotor Hill) in what is now Duckburg, moving there in 1902.

In the years to follow, Scrooge would experience many adventures, usually related to either increasing his fortune (as the Richest Duck In The World needs to) or protecting it from villains such as the Beagle Boys, Flintheart Glomgold, and Magica DeSpell. On these adventures he was frequently accompanied by his nephew Donald Duck and grand-nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie, and less frequently by other characters such as Gyro Gearloose and Gladstone Gander.

At one point, right before meeting Donald and the nephews, Scrooge lived in a rather lavish house, but he soon after moved into his huge money bin. Earlier Scrooge comics show his office as being in a downtown office building, but again, that eventually moved to the Bin.

Scrooge McDuck died in 1967 at 100 years old, to still-not-determined causes. "His final tale is an adventure that will probably never allowed to be told... but it *was* a dilly!" - Donald Duck. His tombstone reads "Fortuna Favet Fortibus".

His first comic book appearance was in a 1947 strip called "Christmas At Bear Mountain" (by Carl Barks).