Mangoes are sensational summer treat which most people enjoy fresh from the skin. While this is undoubtedly the best way to enjoy a fresh mango, sometimes a lucky few will find themselves with a glut of mangoes; more than they can eat.

That is when this fabulous method of preserving the fresh vitality of mangoes comes into play. Make a simple syrup of sugar and water and simmer it with kaffir lime leaves. The peeled mangoes are immersed in the syrup, then stored in the refrigerator to absorb all the wonderfully tropical kaffir lime flavours.

If kaffir lime leaves are unobtainable, get imaginative. Start with other citrus leaves, such as lemon or orange, or try the peel from a regular lime. Moving away from citrus, vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks or star anise will work wonderfully as well. The basic idea is to preserve the mango in a sugar syrup while flavouring it at the same time.

At work, we are using this fabulous stuff to partner a vacherin of brown bread and golden syrup ice cream. In plain English that is a sublime wedge of ice cream, surrounded by thin layer of frozen whipped cream. Without being presumptuous, I think it is seriously delicious.

At home, try using these mangoes as you would fresh ones. Pair them with good vanilla bean ice cream and almond wafers, or include them in you favourite fruit tart.


Ingredients

  • 3 mangoes
  • 1 litre (2 pints) water
  • 1 kg (2 lb) caster sugar
  • 6 kaffir lime leaves (or substitute for other spices)
  • Method

    Place the water, sugar and lime leaves together in a saucepan and bring to the simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

    Peel the mangoes and slice the flesh from each side of the pip, trying to keep it in a whole piece. Place the mango flesh in the syrup and macerate until required. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.