This seriously addictive pudding has been a family favourite in Australia for many generations and I suspect even longer in Britain where this dessert has its origins.

Lemon delicious are also super easy to make, perfect for the novice in the kitchen. However, if you bake them in individual ramekins, they have enough pizzazz to be served up at an upmarket dinner party. The pudding batter is simply mixed together and the mixture baked in the oven. The secret to this pudding's appeal is that it separates into 2 layers as it cooks. The top of the pudding cooks to a golden sponge while underneath is a warm, gooey, lemony sauce that has to be tasted to be believed.

You can make wonderful variations on this pudding by simply substituting the lemon juice for other fresh fruit juices. I have successfully tried orange, lime and passionfruit.

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 250 ml (1 cup) caster sugar
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
  • 30 gm (1 oz) melted butter
  • 75 gm (2 ½ oz) self raising flour (all purpose flour with baking powder)
  • Method

    Beat together the egg yolks and half the sugar until pale and creamy. Stir in the lemon juice, milk and butter. Mix until well combined. Add the flour and gently fold until it is well incorporated into the mixture.

    Beat the egg whites until they are white and foamy and they leave soft peaks on the top of the mixture. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to beat the egg whites. Gently fold into the lemon pudding mixture.

    Preheat your oven to 180° C (360° F). Choose either 1 large pudding basin, around 1 litre (4 cup) capacity, or 6 150 ml ramekins and grease well with butter. Pour the pudding mixture into the pudding basin or ramekins, then place the lot into a baking tray with reasonably high sides. Pour hot water into the tray so it comes half way up the sides of the ramekins or pudding basin. Place into the oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes for the ramekins and 1 hour for the single, large pudding. Cool slightly and serve the pudding directly out of the basin, or ramekins.

    Serve with some double cream (45 % butterfat) and fresh strawberries.

    Serve 6, or 1 total dessert hog.