user since
Sun Jul 22 2001 at 04:01:50 (22.8 years ago )
last seen
Mon Sep 30 2002 at 00:08:11 (21.6 years ago )
number of write-ups
4 - View smirkleton's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 68
most recent writeup
Rockin' The Suburbs
Send private message to smirkleton

I suppose I could regale you with tales of my occasionally peculiar life, but it seems hardly proper to spend much time in authoring a bio when I've contributed so little to the everything2 community.

I am, like all of you, defined firstly by my actions, which I hope are always consistent with my beliefs. But I know myself too well to pretend this is true. I have proven my own capacity for hypocrisy repeatedly to myself, my friends and my family. Because I have strong opinions about right and wrong, and I feel compelled by my moral beliefs to share them when opportunities present themselves, I know it is incumbent upon me to live in a manner consistent with my stated worldview. So this is a real and daily struggle.

---

I make a rather good living as a writer. But I'm increasingly suspicious that my primary work, to which I have little personal attachment, is contributing in a tiny-but-real way to lowering the signal-to-noise ratio in the culture of ideas. I am not certain this is so- just beginning to wonder. Even as I ponder the matter more, I am planning my escape. I want to be unambiguously a part of the signal. Soon.

I suppose also that is partly why I am here at everything2. I hope to contribute, where opportunity exists, knowledge and insight - in what few areas I might have one or the other.