Quick Draw McGraw was the title character in the Hanna-Barbera cartoons of the same name that themselves appeared on the syndicated program called the Quick Draw McGraw Show. This program first appeared in 1959 and has been on the air in one form or another for a great deal of the time since then. Other cartoon shorts that also appeared on the Quick Draw McGraw Show include Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy as well as Snooper and Blabber, but this writeup will deal primarily with the Quick Draw McGraw shorts themselves.

Quick Draw himself was a white anthropomorphic horse who wore a gunbelt, a light blue bandana around his neck, and a reddish-brown ten gallon hat. He held the office of sheriff of an Old West town that may or may not have been in New Mexico (my sources disagree). Quick Draw also had a Zorro-like secret identity, El Kabong, that he sometimes employed in order to catch bad guys when his normal shenanigans failed. Although Quick Draw was the hero of the cartoon, it was quite rare to find him actually doing anything heroic. Since he was used as a vehicle for parody of prevailing television conventions, especially with regard to the Western genre, his inordinate belief in and attempts to emulate codes and behaviors of the wild west (as stolen from more serious programs like the Lone Ranger, usually) more often than not resulted in Quick Draw looking like a fool while his sidekick, Baba Looie, caught the bad guys. Baba Looie was a small burro who wore a yellow sombrero and had a yellow bandana around his neck. Baba Looie also had a Mexican accent and a great deal more common sense than Quick Draw although he happily played second banana to Quick Draw throughout the life of the show.

Quick Draw also had a hound dog named Snuffles who never said anything but who reacted very enthusiastically whenever given a dog biscuit, quite like Shaggy and Scooby of Scooby Doo fame. The primary female character was named Sagebrush Sal, and although I cannot find a picture of her from which to describe her, she was reportedly often more concerned with her appearance than her safety and therefore provided the impetus for the show's adventures a fair amount of the time by getting herself into troubles of all sorts. Villains varied from episode to episode and rarely if ever recurred. A few villains who appeared on the show were The Raindrop Kid, Walker DePlank (a pirate character), and Little Varmint.

Sources: Cartoon Network's Department of Cartoons and http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1174.php