Pasta with Chicken and Lemon Sauce

I recently came up with this recipe and I was rather proud of it :) It is rather simple to make and not too sour. Great with a salad.

For two persons, you need:

  • 200 g dried pasta, penne work great
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 25 g butter or margarine
  • 250 - 300 g chicken breast, in small cubes
  • half a lemon
  • 1 table spoon of plain flour
  • half a cup of chicken stock
  • whipping cream or soy cream substitute
  • pepper, salt
  • dried thyme and fresh parsley, chopped, to taste
I won't explain how to cook the pasta here. I'm assuming that won't be a problem.

Start off by grating the zest off the half a lemon (wash it thoroughly first!) and then press out the juice. Put both zest and juice to the side for later use.

Fry the chicken pieces in the butter until they are almost done, then take them out of the pan and set them aside. Add a little butter if necessary (you will be making a roux) and add the garlic, lemon zest and the flour. Stir well and let is cook for a little while.

Add the chicken stoch a little at a time, stirring each time so all lumps disappear. When you've added all the stock, add the lemon juice. Bring to the boil and add the chicken to the pan, together with salt, pepper and herbs to taste. Warm through so chicken is completely cooked, then add a bit of cream.

Serve with the pasta. Enjoy!

You could make a variation by leaving out the cream and adding green olives and/or preserved lemon to the sauce, it would then get a bit of Moroccan appeal...