There are many types of psychologists. Some of the most common are:

Clinical psychologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and behavioral disorders. Some also conduct research in these areas. Most work in clinics, hospitals, and private practice, and many hold professorships at colleges and universities.

Counseling psychologists help people who have adjustment problems {marital, social, behavior), that are less severe than those generally handled by clinical psychologists. They may also provide academic or vocational counseling. Counselors usually work in a non-medical setting such as a school or university, or may have a private practice.

Psychological psychologists, also called neuropsychologists, study the relationship between the psychological processes and behavior. They study the structure and function of the brain and central nervous system, the role of the neurotransmitters and the hormones, and other aspects of body chemistry to determine how physical and chemical processes affect behavior in both people and animals.

Experimental psychologists specialize in the use of experimental research methods. They conduct experiments in most fields of specialization in psychology. They usually work in a laboratory. Many are faculty members who teach and conduct their research in college or university laboratories.

Developmental psychologists study how people grow, develop, and change throughout the life span. Some specialize in a specific age group. Others concentrate on a specific aspect of human development such as physical, language, cognitive, or moral development.

Educational psychologists specialize in the study of teaching and learning. They help train teachers and other educational professionals or conduct research in teaching and classroom behavior. Some help prepare school curricula, develop achievement tests, or conduct evaluations of teaching and learning.

Social psychologists investigate how the individual feels, thinks, and behaves in a social setting-in the presence of others. Industrial/organizational (I/O) psychologists study the relationships between people and their work environments.