There are mainly three types of resume styles:

Chronological
Functional
Combination


Chronological

Employers generally prefer Chronological.

The Chronological gives the start and end date, company name, position held, and description of your accomplishments. It is usually ended with a brief skills section and education.


Functional

This may seem ideal for those with gaps in their employment history, or for those not too far out of school with only one job to mention.

The Functional resume does not rely on listing jobs, but skills and accomplishments, listed in detail. It is intended to be used without a listing of employers -- though this is brave. Even a brief mention with vague dates (years, not months and years) will help put the employer's mind at ease. Again, education can be added at the bottom.

The problem with the Functional style is that employers may think that you are trying to hide something.


Combination

A good choice if you have not worked many places, or have been promoted within a company.

The Combination is just that. It usually begins with detail of skills and accomplishments (from all jobs), and then goes into a very brief chronological listing of employers, dates, positions, and job description. If you were promoted within a company, list the most recent position first with dates, followed by any prior positions and dates.


Useful tip:
If you have been out of work, use a cover letter to briefly explain why. Mention anything you can about that time off from work -- did you travel, consult, do community service ... Mentioning any of these things will help to make you sound like a well rounded person and not a slacker.

Good luck.


Much of this knowledge is from my own job searches, as well as help from sites like monster.com and careerbuilder.com.