Educated in the US and England, Yu is perhaps best known for his 1993 Hong Kong film, Bride With the White Hair. In 1997, he, like so many other Hong Kong filmmakers started working in the the US.

His first American project was the kung fu kiddie flick, Warriors of Virtue. His second work, certainly his best since his immigration, was the 1998 Child's Play sequel, Bride of Chucky.

With this film, Yu took a dying (perhaps dead) franchise and steered it in an entirely new direction. Bride of Chucky was an unlikely combination. Around the framework of a traditional American slasher film, he draped his manic, action movie visual style and ghoulish sense of humor. The result was on the most original and exciting horror films in years.

Yu's most recent project is Formula 51 (originally titled The 51st State). Although it was released in the UK and Europe several years ago, its American distributor held it back. The reasons for this hesitancy are fairly obvious, to be perfectly honest. It's the kind of film that people will either love or hate. Mostly hate. Although it lacks the saavy of Bride of Chucky, Formula 51 more than makes up for it in sheer energy and surreality. It helps to view it as a dadaist action flick.

Yu's next project, now in production I believe, is the long-awaited Freddy vs. Jason. This looks like a return to form for Yu. A welcome respite from inferior slasher sequels. It will star Brad Renfro (Apt Pupil).

Yu will be someone to watch. Further updates as events warrant.