US Airways, known as USAir until 1997, is one of the six largest airlines in the United States, focused primarily around the eastern seaboard with hubs in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Charlotte. The history of the airline is difficult to track: today's US Airways is the result of the mergers of Piedmont Airlines, Lake Central Airlines, Mohawk Airlines, Empire Airlines, the Trump Shuttle, and Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) between 1968 and 1992, all falling into an umbrella that started with Pennsylvania carrier Allegheny Airlines. The name "USAir" was first used in 1979.

Unfortunately, the airline, like the industry in general, has been a victim of gross mismanagement and plain bad luck over the past decade or so. In 1993, British Airways made a major investment in USAir to keep the airline afloat, forcing USAir to give up its authority to serve London. Then, around the time it became US Airways, USAir sued BA to take back its ownership, only to fall into a series of labor disputes with mechanics and flight attendants that led to an attempted United Airlines takeover in 2000.

At the same time as its failed relationship with The World's Favourite Airline was taking place, USAir was racking up one of the worst safety records in the history of civil aviation. In the space of just four years, the airline suffered four fatal crashes:

After it changed its name in 1997, US Airways placed massive orders for new Airbus aircraft, expanded its international network, and moved to the more efficient Sabre reservations system. Then came September 11, 2001, and soon enough, US Airways was in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Since the attacks, they have furloughed 60% of their flight attendants and 30% of their pilots, and plan to sell 21 aircraft.

But for now, here's what their fleet looks like:

Boeing 767: 11
Boeing 757: 32
Boeing 737: 131
Airbus A330: 9
Airbus A321: 28
Airbus A320: 24
Airbus A319: 66
Total: 301

US Airways flies 1,400 flights a day to 92 airports, and barring any further layoffs, has some 35,000 employees, many at headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. Before they filed for bankruptcy, they were listed on the New York Stock Exchange with the symbol U. They are now solvent once more, but have yet to return to the big board.