Gene Taylor (D-MS) was born on on 17 September 1953 in New Orleans. He studied political science and history at Tulane University, graduating in 1974. Taylor also served in the Coast Guard from 1971 to 1984, during which time he received several commendations.

Taylor got his start in politics in his hometown of Bay St. Louis, a quiet town of stately oaks, Catholic schools, and low-key tourism on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, about an hour from New Orleans. He was a City Councillor and then a member of the state Senate through most of the eighties. He first ran for a national office in 1988, but lost the fifth congressional district seat in the House to Larkin Smith. Smith died in a plane crash in August 1989, and Gene Taylor took his place after a special election that October.

Taylor has continued to serve Mississippi every term since then, evidence of the hard work he does and the good will of his constituents. Taylor can often be seen at the local Crab Festival in Bay St. Louis, manning the crab race table and enjoying the festivities.

Taylor supports school prayer, military spending - especially ship building, and increased pay for senators, military personell, and teachers. He is against NAFTA, abortion and has voted for or authored very strong anti-drug laws at both local and national levels. Taylor has also taken strong stands for the environment, working to protect wetlands and other threatened areas of coastal Mississippi.

Gene Taylor is a fairly down to earth and approachable fellow. Even if you don't agree with all of his views, he has worked hard for what he believes is right, which is worthy of respect. And out of all the members of Congress with yachts, how many do you think built the thing themselves in their backyard from a shrimp boat?

He can be reached in a number of ways:

2311 Rayburn Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-2405
202-225-5772 (phone)
202-225-7074 (fax)

2424 14th Street
Gulfport, MS 39501
228-864-7670

701 Main Street
Suite 215
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
601-582-3246

1215 B-Government Street
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
228-872-7950

Dropping by the early July Crab Festival's crab racing booth in Bay St. Louis. Show up with beer and money to bet. A dollar gets you five if your crab falls off the table first.