Presented for your approval: the known family tree of our favourite family, The Simpsons. Due to the limitations of ASCII I have had to depart from certain family tree conventions. "m." denotes "Married". "n." denotes "Nearly married"; there's a handful of these which I basically included to make the tree more interesting. "=" merely denotes "had a child with". I have also had to squish relatives from the same generation onto different levels in the interests of not stretching your browser window too much.
??? m. Mimsy
Bancroft | ???
??? = Abraham J. m. Mona J. ??? m. Jacqueline n. Charles Montgomery = Lily
| Simpson | ??? Bouvier | ??? Burns | Bancroft
| = | |_____________ n. |
| Edwina | | Gertrude |
| ??? | | ??? |
| | | Sheldon m. Agnes | |
| | | Skinner | ??? | ??? m. Larry
| | | ____| : | | Burns
| | | | : | __|__
| | | | : | | |
| Abby | Seymour : _____|_____ ??? ???
| Simpson | Skinner : | | |
| | : | | |
| | : | | |
| | Armin "Seymour n. Patty | Selma m. Robert Underdunk
| | Skinner" Tamzarian Bouvier | Bouvier "Sideshow Bob"
Herb | | Terwilliger
Powell | | m. Lionel Hutz
| __________________| m. Troy McClure
Amber m. Homer Jay m. Marjorie "Marge"
??? Simpson | Bouvier
| | | |
| | Hugo Bartholomew Jo-Jo "Bart" m. ???
| | Simpson Simpson m. ???
| Lisa Marie n. Hugh St. John Alastair
| Simpson Parkfield
Margaret "Maggie" = ???
Margaret "Maggie Junior"
- Mimsy Bancroft, her daughter Lily, her son Larry and his wife and kids all appear or are mentioned in (4F05) Burns, Baby Burns. None of the question marks on this branch are likely to be filled.
- Herb Powell was illegitimately fathered by Abe Simpson with a carnival prostitute whose real name is unknown. He is around two years older than Homer. ((7F16) Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?)
- Homer's biological mother's real maiden name is unknown, but her first name is definitely Mona and her middle initial, like so many on the Simpson side of the family, is J. "The Simpsons' Uncensored Family Album1" lists her name as Penelope Olsen, and she has also gone by the aliases Mona Stevens, Martha Stewart, Muddy Mae Suggins and Anita Bonghit. ((3F06) Mother Simpson, (EABF18) My Mother The Carjacker)
- Abby Simpson was illegitimately fathered by Abe Simpson with an English woman named Edwina in 1944. She is therefore over 20 years older than Homer. ((EABF22) The Regina Monologues)
- Jacky Bouvier's maiden name is unknown.
- Marge's father's first name is unknown.
- Selma reveals in (3F20) Much Apu About Nothing that her full name is Selma Bouvier Terwilliger Hutz McClure. Her brief marriage to Lionel Hutz occurred completely offscreen.
- Patty and Selma are twin sisters. Patty, whose real first name is presumably Patricia, is two minutes younger than Selma. ((7F15) Principal Charming)
- Seymour Skinner is Agnes' adoptive son. ((4F23) The Principal And The Pauper)
- Homer has married Marge twice. Lamenting that their first marriage was a cheap affair in a shotgun chapel, in (4F04) A Milhouse Divided he files for divorce and arranges a considerably more lavish second wedding, with all their friends present. He is also married to a waitress named Amber ("Vegas Wife"), last name unknown. ((AABF06) Viva Ned Flanders)
- Marge's full name has, as far as I know, only ever been spoken on the show. So while the vast majority of fan sites list it as "Marjorie", it is possible that she has the alternate spelling "Margery".
- In (2F15) Lisa's Wedding, Lisa is shown a psychic vision of the future in which she nearly marries Hugh Parkfield and Bart confesses to wanting to get married a third time. Obviously one can't necessarily take psychic visions as canon.
- Hugo Simpson, Bart's evil twin brother, was added by popular demand but does not actually exist in the main Simpsons "continuity". He and Bart were originally joined at the waist, with Bart on the left and Hugo on the right. They were separated shortly after birth. ("The Thing And I", from (4F02) Treehouse Of Horror VII)
- Maggie Junior appears in Bart's vision of the future in (BABF13) Bart To The Future. Again, visions don't count as canon.
- The large number of J's as middle initials on the Simpson side of the family is series creator Matt Groening's tribute to two other animated characters, Rocky and Bullwinkle (Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle J. Moose). These were in turn named in honor of their creator, Jay Ward.
Other relatives who couldn't be placed accurately
- In the Tracey Ullman Show short (MG09) The Funeral, Bart, Lisa and Maggie had an uncle Hubert who passed away. This seems odd in retrospect as all flashbacks from later episodes portray Homer as an only child and Patty and Selma as Marge's only two siblings. Possibly Hubert had grown up and moved away from the Bouvier home by this point - it would explain why he died so young. Or perhaps he wasn't really their uncle at all, just a close family friend. (Or a great-uncle, suggests kthejoker.)
- Homer has a cousin Frank (whether on his mother's or father's side is unknown), who apparently slept in the same bed as his parents until the age of 21. "He became Francine back in '76. Then he joined that cult. I think his name is Mother Shabubu now." ((9F08) Lisa's First Word)
- Homer also has a deceased great-uncle Boris. ((1F14) Homer Loves Flanders)
- In (9F11) Selma's Choice, Marge, Selma and Patty's aunt Gladys passes away and the Simpsons attend her funeral. Her name is Gladys Bouvier, but in her video will she also addresses her sister, Jacky - Jacqueline Bouvier, Marge's mother, who only took the name Bouvier after getting married! There are four or five obvious explanations, but all of them are too tedious to list here.
A scan of the tree: http://www.geocities.com/thesimpsonsites/family.htm
All the piped episodes of The Simpsons
The Simpsons Archive at http://www.snpp.com