A popular all wheel drive sports car produced by Japanese automaker Mitsubishi, directly for the purpose of homologation for world-wide rally events (after marginal success of the Mitsubishi Galant as a rally car). The "Evo", as it is known, was first given life in 1992, and, as its name implies, has continuously evolved over its ten-year existance, and has gone through seven distinct generations into the present date. Formerly found only in Japan, the Evo VII will shortly become available in North America. Joy! (Don't be fooled by plain old Lancers -- they're nothing really special.)

Each incarnation of the Evo has used the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine, a 2.0-liter inline-four assisted by massive twin turbochargers, producing from 250 hp @ 6000 rpm in the Evo I, to a full 276 hp @ 6500 rpm in the current Evo VII. Each "evolution" of the car has not only brought appearance changes -- the more noticable of these have been the continuous addition of huge air intakes to the car's front -- but suspension, chassis rigidity, aerodynamics and special systems, including the addition of such amenities as active yaw control, have made the Lancer Evolution technologically advanced as well as just plain fast. Unfortunately, since the World Rally Championship no longer requires homologation, the Evolution can no longer be the super-high-performance machine it was, and the Evo VI is regarded as the last "true" Evo.

The Lancer Evolution is the natural enemy of the Subaru Impreza WRX.