Surah 31 Luqman - Al-Luqman, 34 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- A. L. M.
- These are Verses of the Wise Book,-
- A Guide and a Mercy to the Doers of Good,-
- Those who establish regular Prayer, and give
regular Charity, and have (in their hearts) the
assurance of the Hereafter.
- These are on (true) guidance from their Lord: and
these are the ones who will prosper.
- But there are, among men, those who purchase idle
tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men)
from the Path of God and throw ridicule (on the Path):
for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.
- When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he
turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if
there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a
- For those who believe and work righteous deeds,
there will be Gardens of Bliss,-
- To dwell therein. The promise of God is true: and
He is Exalted in Power, Wise.
- He created the heavens without any pillars that ye
can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm,
lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through
it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky,
and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature,
- Such is the Creation of God: now show Me what is
there that others besides Him have created: nay, but
the Transgressors are in manifest error.
- we bestowed (in the past) Wisdom on Luqman: "Show
(thy) gratitude to God." Any who is (so) grateful does
so to the profit of his own soul: but if any is
ungrateful, verily God is free of all wants, Worthy of
- Behold, Luqman said to his son by way of
instruction: "O my son! join not in worship (others)
with God: for false worship is indeed the highest
- And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his
parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear
him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the
command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents: to
Me is (thy final) Goal.
- "But if they strive to make thee join in worship
with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey
them not; yet bear them company in this life with
justice (and consideration), and follow the way of
those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return
of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and
meaning) of all that ye did."
- "O my son!" (said Luqman), "If there be (but) the
weight of a mustard-seed and it were (hidden) in a
rock, or (anywhere) in the heavens or on earth, God
will bring it forth: for God understands the finest
mysteries, (and) is well-acquainted (with them).
- "O my son! establish regular prayer, enjoin what is
just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient
constancy whatever betide thee; for this is firmness
(of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.
- "And swell not thy cheek (for pride) at men, nor
walk in insolence through the earth; for God loveth not
any arrogant boaster.
- "And be moderate in thy pace, and lower thy voice;
for the harshest of sounds without doubt is the braying
of the ass."
- Do ye not see that God has subjected to your (use)
all things in the heavens and on earth, and has made
his bounties flow to you in exceeding measure, (both)
seen and unseen? Yet there are among men those who
dispute about God, without knowledge and without
guidance, and without a Book to enlighten them!
- When they are told to follow the (Revelation) that
God has sent down, they say: "Nay, we shall follow the
ways that we found our fathers (following). "What! even
if it is Satan beckoning them to the Penalty of the
- Whoever submits his whole self to God, and is a
doer of good, has grasped indeed the most trustworthy
hand-hold: and with God rests the End and Decision of
- But if any reject Faith, let not his rejection
grieve thee: to Us is their return, and We shall tell
them the truth of their deeds: for God knows well all
that is in (men's) hearts.
- We grant them their pleasure for a little while: in
the end shall We drive them to a chastisement
- If thou ask them, who it is that created the
heavens and the earth. They will certainly say, "God".
Say: "Praise be to God!" But most of them understand
- To God belong all things in heaven and earth:
verily God is He (that is) free of all wants, worthy of
- And if all the trees on earth were pens and the
ocean (were ink), with seven oceans behind it to add to
its (supply), yet would not the words of God be
exhausted (in the writing): for God is Exalted in
Power, full of Wisdom.
- And your creation or your resurrection is in no
wise but as an individual soul: for God is He Who hears
and sees (all things).
- Seest thou not that God merges Night into Day and
he merges Day into Night; that He has subjected the
sun, and the moon (to his Law), each running its course
for a term appointed; and that God is well-acquainted
with all that ye do?
- That is because God is the (only) Reality, and
because whatever else they invoke besides Him is
Falsehood; and because God,- He is the Most High, Most
- Seest thou not that the ships sail through the
ocean by the Grace of God?- that He may show you of His
Signs? Verily in this are Signs for all who constantly
persevere and give thanks.
- When a wave covers them like the canopy (of
clouds), they call to God, offering Him sincere
devotion. But when He has delivered them safely to
land, there are among them those that halt between
(right and wrong). But none reject Our Signs except
only a perfidious ungrateful (wretch)!
- O mankind! do your duty to your Lord, and fear (the
coming of) a Day when no father can avail aught for his
son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the
promise of God is true: let not then this present life
deceive you, nor let the chief Deceiver deceive you
- Verily the knowledge of the Hour is with God
(alone). It is He Who sends down rain, and He Who knows
what is in the wombs. Nor does any one know what it is
that he will earn on the morrow: Nor does any one know
in what land he is to die. Verily with God is full
knowledge and He is acquainted (with all things).
Surah 30 The Romans
Surah 31 Luqman
Surah 32 The Prostration