Surah 10 Jonah - Yunus, 109 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- A.L.R. These are the ayats of the Book of Wisdom.
- Is it a matter of wonderment to men that We have
sent Our inspiration to a man from among themselves?-
that he should warn mankind (of their danger), and give
the good news to the Believers that they have before
their Lord the lofty rank of truth. (But) say the
Unbelievers: "This is indeed an evident sorcerer!"
- Verily your Lord is God, who created the heavens
and the earth in six days, and is firmly established on
the throne (of authority), regulating and governing all
things. No intercessor (can plead with Him) except
after His leave (hath been obtained). This is God your
Lord; Him therefore serve ye: will ye not receive
- To Him will be your return- of all of you. The
promise of God is true and sure. It is He Who beginneth
the process of creation, and repeateth it, that He may
reward with justice those who believe and work
righteousness; but those who reject Him will have
draughts of boiling fluids, and a penalty grievous,
because they did reject Him.
- It is He Who made the sun to be a shining glory and
the moon to be a light (of beauty), and measured out
stages for her; that ye might know the number of years
and the count (of time). Nowise did God create this but
in truth and righteousness. (Thus) doth He explain His
Signs in detail, for those who understand.
- Verily, in the alternation of the night and the
day, and in all that God hath created, in the heavens
and the earth, are signs for those who fear Him.
- Those who rest not their hope on their meeting with
Us, but are pleased and satisfied with the life of the
present, and those who heed not Our Signs,-
- Their abode is the Fire, because of the (evil) they
- Those who believe, and work righteousness,- their
Lord will guide them because of their faith: beneath
them will flow rivers in gardens of bliss.
- (This will be) their cry therein: "Glory to Thee, O
God!" And "Peace" will be their greeting therein! and
the close of their cry will be: "Praise be to God, the
Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds!"
- If God were to hasten for men the ill (they have
earned) as they would fain hasten on the good,- then
would their respite be settled at once. But We leave
those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us,
in their trespasses, wandering in distraction to and
- When trouble toucheth a man, He crieth unto Us (in
all postures)- lying down on his side, or sitting, or
standing. But when We have solved his trouble, he
passeth on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a
trouble that touched him! thus do the deeds of
transgressors seem fair in their eyes!
- Generations before you We destroyed when they did
wrong: their apostles came to them with clear-signs,
but they would not believe! thus do We requite those
- Then We made you heirs in the land after them, to
see how ye would behave!
- But when Our Clear Signs are rehearsed unto them,
those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us,
Say: "Bring us a reading other than this, or change
this," Say: "It is not for me, of my own accord, to
change it: I follow naught but what is revealed unto
me: if I were to disobey my Lord, I should myself fear
the penalty of a Great Day (to come)."
- Say: "If God had so willed, I should not have
rehearsed it to you, nor would He have made it known to
you. A whole life-time before this have I tarried
amongst you: will ye not then understand?"
- Who doth more wrong than such as forge a lie
against God, or deny His Signs? But never will prosper
those who sin.
- They serve, besides God, things that hurt them not
nor profit them, and they say: "These are our
intercessors with God." Say: "Do ye indeed inform God
of something He knows not, in the heavens or on earth?-
Glory to Him! and far is He above the partners they
ascribe (to Him)!"
- Mankind was but one nation, but differed (later).
Had it not been for a word that went forth before from
thy Lord, their differences would have been settled
- They say: "Why is not a sign sent down to him from
his Lord?" Say: "The Unseen is only for God (to know),
then wait ye: I too will wait with you."
- When We make mankind taste of some mercy after
adversity hath touched them, behold! they take to
plotting against Our Signs! Say: "Swifter to plan is
God!" Verily, Our messengers record all the plots that
- He it is Who enableth you to traverse through land
and sea; so that ye even board ships;- they sail with
them with a favourable wind, and they rejoice thereat;
then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them
from all sides, and they think they are being
overwhelmed: they cry unto God, sincerely offering
(their) duty unto Him saying, "If thou dost deliver us
from this, we shall truly show our gratitude!"
- But when he delivereth them, behold! they
transgress insolently through the earth in defiance of
right! O mankind! your insolence is against your own
souls,- an enjoyment of the life of the present: in the
end, to Us is your return, and We shall show you the
truth of all that ye did.
- The likeness of the life of the present is as the
rain which We send down from the skies: by its mingling
arises the produce of the earth- which provides food
for men and animals: (It grows) till the earth is clad
with its golden ornaments and is decked out (in
beauty): the people to whom it belongs think they have
all powers of disposal over it: There reaches it Our
command by night or by day, and We make it like a
harvest clean-mown, as if it had not flourished only
the day before! thus do We explain the Signs in detail
for those who reflect.
- But God doth call to the Home of Peace: He doth
guide whom He pleaseth to a way that is straight.
- To those who do right is a goodly (reward)- Yea,
more (than in measure)! No darkness nor shame shall
cover their faces! they are companions of the garden;
they will abide therein (for aye)!
- But those who have earned evil will have a reward
of like evil: ignominy will cover their (faces): No
defender will they have from (the wrath of) God: Their
faces will be covered, as it were, with pieces from the
depth of the darkness of night: they are companions of
the Fire: they will abide therein (for aye)!
- One day shall We gather them all together. Then
shall We say to those who joined gods (with Us): "To
your place! ye and those ye joined as 'partners' We
shall separate them, and their "Partners" shall say:
"It was not us that ye worshipped!
- "Enough is God for a witness between us and you: we
certainly knew nothing of your worship of us!"
- There will every soul prove (the fruits of) the
deeds it sent before: they will be brought back to God
their rightful Lord, and their invented falsehoods will
leave them in the lurch.
- Say: "Who is it that sustains you (in life) from
the sky and from the earth? or who is it that has power
over hearing and sight? And who is it that brings out
the living from the dead and the dead from the living?
and who is it that rules and regulates all affairs?"
They will soon say, "God". Say, "will ye not then show
piety (to Him)?"
- Such is God, your real Cherisher and Sustainer:
apart from truth, what (remains) but error? How then
are ye turned away?
- Thus is the word of thy Lord proved true against
those who rebel: Verily they will not believe.
- Say: "Of your 'partners', can any originate
creation and repeat it?" Say: "It is God Who originates
creation and repeats it: then how are ye deluded away
(from the truth)?"
- Say: "Of your 'partners' is there any that can give
any guidance towards truth?" Say: "It is God Who gives
guidance towards truth, is then He Who gives guidance
to truth more worthy to be followed, or he who finds
not guidance (himself) unless he is guided? what then
is the matter with you? How judge ye?"
- But most of them follow nothing but fancy: truly
fancy can be of no avail against truth. Verily God is
well aware of all that they do.
- This Qur'an is not such as can be produced by other
than God; on the contrary it is a confirmation of
(revelations) that went before it, and a fuller
explanation of the Book - wherein there is no doubt -
from the Lord of the worlds.
- Or do they say, "He forged it"? say: "Bring then a
Sura like unto it, and call (to your aid) anyone you
can besides God, if it be ye speak the truth!"
- Nay, they charge with falsehood that whose
knowledge they cannot compass, even before the
elucidation thereof hath reached them: thus did those
before them make charges of falsehood: but see what was
the end of those who did wrong!
- Of them there are some who believe therein, and
some who do not: and thy Lord knoweth best those who
are out for mischief.
- If they charge thee with falsehood, say: "My work
to me, and yours to you! ye are free from
responsibility for what I do, and I for what ye do!"
- Among them are some who (pretend to) listen to
thee: But canst thou make the deaf to hear,- even
though they are without understanding?
- And among them are some who look at thee: but canst
thou guide the blind,- even though they will not see?
- Verily God will not deal unjustly with man in
aught: It is man that wrongs his own soul.
- One day He will gather them together: (It will be)
as if they had tarried but an hour of a day: they will
recognise each other: assuredly those will be lost who
denied the meeting with God and refused to receive true
- Whether We show thee (realised in thy life-time)
some part of what We promise them,- or We take thy soul
(to Our Mercy) (Before that),- in any case, to Us is
their return: ultimately God is witness, to all that
- To every people (was sent) an apostle: when their
apostle comes (before them), the matter will be judged
between them with justice, and they will not be
- They say: "When will this promise come to pass,- if
ye speak the truth?"
- Say: "I have no power over any harm or profit to
myself except as God willeth. To every people is a term
appointed: when their term is reached, not an hour can
they cause delay, nor (an hour) can they advance (it in
- Say: "Do ye see,- if His punishment should come to
you by night or by day,- what portion of it would the
sinners wish to hasten?
- "Would ye then believe in it at last, when it
actually cometh to pass? (It will then be said): 'Ah!
now? and ye wanted (aforetime) to hasten it on!'
- "At length will be said to the wrong-doers: 'Taste
ye the enduring punishment! ye get but the recompense
of what ye earned!'"
- They seek to be informed by thee: "Is that true?"
Say: "Aye! by my Lord! it is the very truth! and ye
cannot frustrate it!"
- Every soul that hath sinned, if it possessed all
that is on earth, would fain give it in ransom: They
would declare (their) repentance when they see the
penalty: but the judgment between them will be with
justice, and no wrong will be done unto them.
- Is it not (the case) that to God belongeth whatever
is in the heavens and on earth? Is it not (the case)
that God's promise is assuredly true? Yet most of them
- It is He Who giveth life and who taketh it, and to
Him shall ye all be brought back.
- O mankind! there hath come to you a direction from
your Lord and a healing for the (diseases) in your
hearts,- and for those who believe, a guidance and a
- Say: "In the bounty of God. And in His Mercy,- in
that let them rejoice": that is better than the
(wealth) they hoard.
- Say: "See ye what things God hath sent down to you
for sustenance? Yet ye hold forbidden some things
thereof and (some things) lawful." Say: "Hath God
indeed permitted you, or do ye invent (things) to
attribute to God?"
- And what think those who invent lies against God,
of the Day of Judgment? Verily God is full of bounty to
mankind, but most of them are ungrateful.
- In whatever business thou mayest be, and whatever
portion thou mayest be reciting from the Qur'an,- and
whatever deed ye (mankind) may be doing,- We are
witnesses thereof when ye are deeply engrossed therein.
Nor is hidden from thy Lord (so much as) the weight of
an atom on the earth or in heaven. And not the least
and not the greatest of these things but are recorded
in a clear record.
- Behold! verily on the friends of God there is no
fear, nor shall they grieve;
- Those who believe and (constantly) guard against
- For them are glad tidings, in the life of the
present and in the Hereafter; no change can there be in
the words of God. This is indeed the supreme felicity.
- Let not their speech grieve thee: for all power and
honour belong to God: It is He Who heareth and knoweth
- Behold! verily to God belong all creatures, in the
heavens and on earth. What do they follow who worship
as His "partners" other than God? They follow nothing
but fancy, and they do nothing but lie.
- He it is That hath made you the night that ye may
rest therein, and the day to make things visible (to
you). Verily in this are signs for those who listen (to
- They say: "God hath begotten a son!" - Glory be to
Him! He is self-sufficient! His are all things in the
heavens and on earth! No warrant have ye for this! say
ye about God what ye know not?
- Say: "Those who invent a lie against God will never
- A little enjoyment in this world!- and then, to Us
will be their return, then shall We make them taste the
severest penalty for their blasphemies.
- Relate to them the story of Noah. Behold! he said
to his people: "O my people, if it be hard on your
(mind) that I should stay (with you) and commemorate
the signs of God,- yet I put my trust in God. Get ye
then an agreement about your plan and among your
partners, so your plan be on to you dark and dubious.
Then pass your sentence on me, and give me no respite.
- "But if ye turn back, (consider): no reward have I
asked of you: my reward is only due from God, and I
have been commanded to be of those who submit to God's
will (in Islam)."
- They rejected Him, but We delivered him, and those
with him, in the Ark, and We made them inherit (the
earth), while We overwhelmed in the flood those who
rejected Our Signs. Then see what was the end of those
who were warned (but heeded not)!
- Then after him We sent (many) apostles to their
peoples: they brought them Clear Signs, but they would
not believe what they had already rejected beforehand.
Thus do We seal the hearts of the transgressors.
- Then after them sent We Moses and Aaron to Pharaoh
and his chiefs with Our Signs. But they were arrogant:
they were a people in sin.
- When the Truth did come to them from Us, they said:
"This is indeed evident sorcery!"
- Said Moses: "Say ye (this) about the truth when it
hath (actually) reached you? Is sorcery (like) this?
But sorcerers will not prosper."
- They said: "Hast thou come to us to turn us away
from the ways we found our fathers following,- in order
that thou and thy brother may have greatness in the
land? But not we shall believe in you!"
- Said Pharaoh: "Bring me every sorcerer well
- When the sorcerers came, Moses said to them: "Throw
ye what ye (wish) to throw!"
- When they had had their throw, Moses said: "What ye
have brought is sorcery: God will surely make it of no
effect: for God prospereth not the work of those who
- "And God by His words doth prove and establish His
truth, however much the sinners may hate it!"
- But none believed in Moses except some children of
his people, because of the fear of Pharaoh and his
chiefs, lest they should persecute them; and certainly
Pharaoh was mighty on the earth and one who
transgressed all bounds.
- Moses said: "O my people! If ye do (really) believe
in God, then in Him put your trust if ye submit (your
will to His)."
- They said: "In God do we put out trust. Our Lord!
make us not a trial for those who practise oppression;
- "And deliver us by Thy Mercy from those who reject
- We inspired Moses and his brother with this
Message: "Provide dwellings for your people in Egypt,
make your dwellings into places of worship, and
establish regular prayers: and give glad tidings to
those who believe!"
- Moses prayed: "Our Lord! Thou hast indeed bestowed
on Pharaoh and his chiefs splendour and wealth in the
life of the present, and so, Our Lord, they mislead
(men) from Thy Path. Deface our Lord, the features of
their wealth, and send hardness to their hearts, so
they will not believe until they see the grievous
- God said: "Accepted is your prayer (O Moses and
Aaron)! So stand ye straight, and follow not the path
of those who know not."
- We took the Children of Israel across the sea:
Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and
spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he
said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom
the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who
submit (to God in Islam)."
- (It was said to him): "Ah now!- But a little while
before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst
mischief (and violence)!
- "This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou
mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but
verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!"
- We settled the Children of Israel in a beautiful
dwelling-place, and provided for them sustenance of the
best: it was after knowledge had been granted to them,
that they fell into schisms. Verily God will judge
between them as to the schisms amongst them, on the Day
- If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed
unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the
Book from before thee: the Truth hath indeed come to
thee from thy Lord: so be in no wise of those in doubt.
- Nor be of those who reject the signs of God, or
thou shalt be of those who perish.
- Those against whom the word of thy Lord hath been
verified would not believe-
- Even if every Sign was brought unto them,- until
they see (for themselves) the penalty grievous.
- Why was there not a single township (among those We
warned), which believed,- so its faith should have
profited it,- except the people of Jonah? When they
believed, We removed from them the penalty of ignominy
in the life of the present, and permitted them to enjoy
(their life) for a while.
- If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have
believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel
mankind, against their will, to believe!
- No soul can believe, except by the will of God,
and He will place doubt (or obscurity) on those who
will not understand.
- Say: "Behold all that is in the heavens and on
earth"; but neither Signs nor Warners profit those who
- Do they then expect (any thing) but (what happened
in) the days of the men who passed away before them?
Say: "Wait ye then: for I, too, will wait with you."
- In the end We deliver Our apostles and those who
believe: Thus is it fitting on Our part that We should
deliver those who believe!
- Say: "O ye men! If ye are in doubt as to my
religion, (behold!) I worship not what ye worship,
other than God! But I worship God - Who will take your
souls (at death): I am commanded to be (in the ranks)
of the Believers,
- "And further (thus): 'set thy face towards religion
with true piety, and never in any wise be of the
- "'Nor call on any, other than God;- Such will
neither profit thee nor hurt thee: if thou dost,
behold! thou shalt certainly be of those who do
- If God do touch thee with hurt, there is none can
remove it but He: if He do design some benefit for
thee, there is none can keep back His favour: He
causeth it to reach whomsoever of His servants He
pleaseth. And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
- Say: "O ye men! Now Truth hath reached you from
your Lord! those who receive guidance, do so for the
good of their own souls; those who stray, do so to
their own loss: and I am not (set) over you to arrange
- Follow thou the inspiration sent unto thee, and be
patient and constant, till God do decide: for He is the
best to decide.
Surah 9 Repentance
Surah 10 Jonah
Surah 11 Hud