This illuminated manuscript created by Irish or Scottish monks in the eighth or ninth century, contains the Latin text of the four gospels, plus prefaces and various other bits and bobs. It is probably Ireland's greatest art treasure, dating from a time when Ireland was preeminent in this spectacular form of devotional art. It has been housed in Trinity College Dublin since the 17th century, and is now on display in the college's Old Library, where it has become Dublin's number one tourist attraction.
The book was most likely produced at the monastery of Iona by followers of Saint Columba, and is sometimes known as the "Book of Columba". Its latter-day name refers to Kells in County Meath, where it was kept for many years, until 1541.