An Australian film probably not seen by most of the world outside of Australia. This is rated as a classic Australia film made in 1974/1975. A gritty, down to earth portrayal (in true Australian style) of the life of a shearer in the outback around the time of a shearer's strike in the summer of 1956.

This film doesn't have any of your tinsel and fine wrapping but presents an accurate picture of Australian culture and the shearer lifestyle around that time. Some aspects probably accurately show the life for shearers today but the films greatest impact has been to, in some ways, define Australia's image of itself. Throw in some larrikins, beer and mateship and you have a fine film worth watching that was made before the Australian film industry went after the American Film market. It's existence can probably be accredited to funding provided by the Australian and South Australian Governments who attempted to ressurect the Australian Film Industry.

This film, directed by Ken Hannam, featured a youngish Jack Thompson as Jack Foley, the ageing gun shearer, setting the scene for the style and characterstics of later actors such as Rusell Crowe and Paul Hogan (people will probably disagree with me on that). Sunday Too Far Away also starred Reg Lye, Max Cullen, Robert Bruning and Peter Cummins, all, no doubt, unheard of outside of Australia. The films was invited for "official selection" at the Cannes Film Festival indicating its merit on a number of dimensions.

Even though you won't see much action you will see some fine acting and occassional humour in a film that is underrated and very enjoyable.