Sir Don Bradman is without argument the greatest batsmen in cricket ever. He is an Australian living legend. 'The Don' is the only Australian ever knighted for services to the game of cricket. He is listed as one of the sporting greats of the 20th century.

Don Bradman played cricket from 1928 to 1948. He was born on 27 August 1908, Cootamundra, New South Wales. http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/B/BRADMAN_DG_02000492/ARTICLES/BRADMAN_PAGES/

In 52 test matches he averaged a mindboggling 99.94 runs. The next highest average to date is 60.97 runs by RG Pollock of South Africa. He was said to have intense concentration, excellent foot movement and amazing hand-eye coordination. His best scoring stroke was the pull shot, played all along the ground in the arc from mid on to backward square leg. He caused such aggravation to the English bowlers which prompted the infamous Bodyline series.

In his test match career he scored 13 50s and 29 100s (this includes 2 triple centuries and 6 double centuries). His highest score was 334 runs against England at Leeds, 3rd Test, 1930. As a sign of the reverence and awe held by Australians for Don Bradman, Mark Taylor (Australian Captain and Opening Batsman) forfeited his wicket upon reaching 334 runs in a test match against Pakistan (at Peshawar, 2nd Test, 1998/99) in honour of the great man.

In first class cricket his highest score was 452 runs not out. (http://www-aus.cricket.org/) Not only was the score a large one but the rate at which he scored the runs (400 minutes) was also phenomenal. It is argued that World War II robbed Sir Donald of some of his best cricketing years.

The Don required only 4 runs in his last innings in a test match against England in 1948 to obtain an average of 100 runs. He was dismissed (bowled Hollies) for 0 runs. In a total of 80 innings he was only dismissed 7 times with 0 runs.(http://www.bradman.sa.com.au/)

Don Bradman brought hope to a nation gripped by depression and mourning the loss of men in the trenches of World War I. When released from prison decades later, Nelson Mandela asked, "Is Don Bradman still alive?" (http://cnews.tribune.com/news/story/0,1162,sunspot-olympics-76588,00.html He is still alive and all of Australia hopes he can make 100.


As a footnote to Sir Don's passing away.

I expect the churches will be quite full this sunday. "Anyone who can get The Don out in the 90's is worth listening to". <--- anyone got a reference for that saying?