ON THE POSSIBILITY AND LIKELIHOOD OF A GOD OR GODS OR OTHER SIMILAR HIGHER ENTITY

Throughout time, humans have believed in a higher entity or entities. Some called them gods, some spirits, some something else, but all have believed in them. Previously, the belief of a higher entity largely affected an individual's activities on a daily, even hourly, basis. In some places, and with some individuals, it still does. However, with the separation of church and state, a group of individuals has appeared with a question: is there really a higher entity (or entities)? (hereby "the question") These people remained hidden because of prejudice against them. They still do.

Before continuing, we must define the term "higher entity." A higher entity is, in most religions, an omnipotent being. In religions with multiple higher entities each higher entity may have specialized abilities. In most religions, the higher entity or entities (hereby "the entities") wish those who believe in their existence (hereby "believers") to prosper. Supposedly, the entities assist the believers in doing so.


"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

-- Thomas Jefferson1


There is something called Ockham's razor. It says that you shouldn't assume something when an alternate explanation doesn't need it. That basically boils down to: the simplest solution is usually correct. The main character in the movie Contact applies Ockham's razor to the question. Since she does not believe in a higher entity, she, the prime candidate for a mission to meet extraterrestrial life, is denied the opportunity to embark on the mission. Of course, Ockham's razor is a generalization, so it cannot be taken as scientific proof against the existence of the entities. Nonetheless, this is a great example of prejudice against atheists.

Some believe that the entities were formed by the human mind to satisfy a psychological need. Perhaps the need to know that there is something in the universe (or outside it?) that can actually reduce the amount of entropy in a closed system? Perhaps it is the need for a purely pscyhological antidepressant? I believe that, if the entities were indeed created by the human mind, the need they are satisfying is the need to feel safe and secure. When believers think about the entities, they receive a sense of security. Whether this a false sense of security or not is anyone's guess.


"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

-- Dalai Lama1


If the entities do exist, they cannot exist inside our universe. At least not until they change the laws of physics. You will remember that the entities are omnipotent, therefore they have the power to change the laws of physics. However, the current laws of physics state that there can be no perpetual energy machine. Everything that uses (converts) energy must get it from somewhere. It would take a large amount of energy to perpetuate the entities. In most religions, the entities are eternal. If they are eternal, then they are, in a way, perpetual energy machines; they can continue infinitely without needing any more energy than they currently have. Since this is impossible in our universe, if the entities exist, they would have to exist outside our universe. This is not to say that they would not be able to affect our universe, but simply that they would not be able to physically enter it.

Many (or most?) people believe the entities do exist, asking how supposed miracles could have happened if the entities did not exist. How could the first aid kit have appeared in the snow? How could Bobby have survived such a crash? How can you pass off Bill Gates as just being smart and lucky? But none of these serves as scientific indirect proof that the entities do exist. Instead, these are much like the generalization that makes it appear that the entities do not exist.

So, is there a God? That is up to you to decide. You cannot choose wrong, for the belief is more importance than the existence. I have provided you with the facts, but you must choose the path…


Sources:
1http://quoteland.com