Potatoes and cream

This dish is a perfect addition to a vegetarian meal, but is equally good with a piece of steak.

Serves 3

Ingredients

  • 6 large potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced.
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped.
  • 1 handful of cheddar cheese.
  • Approximately 500ml of fresh cream.
  • 5 large cloves of garlic, sliced.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • 1 small knob of butter.
  • Method

    • Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade (360 degrees farenheit).
    • Boil the sliced potatoes until they are almost soft enough to mash.
    • Drain the potatoes and let them cool in a colander.
    • Fry the onion (in the butter) lightly in a deep saucepan. (Make sure the saucepan is one which you can put in the oven. i.e. no plastic handles!)
    • Stir in the garlic and fry for about a minute more.
    • Add the potatoes, immediately followed by the cream.
    • Simmer for 5-10 minutes. This should cause the cream to reduce, and become thicker.
    • Once the cream has become substantially thicker and less in volume, place the entire saucepan in the preheated oven.
    • Leave the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes. The potatoes should be beautifully soft before you continue.
    • Remove the dish from the oven, and sprinkle the top with cheese.
    • Place the dish under a grill. This should cause the cheese to melt and eventually become nice and crispy.

    Serving Method

    • Allow to cool for a short while before serving! This dish could cause severe damage to your taste buds if you don't!
    • Perfect to bulk up any vegetable or meat based meal.

    ENJOY!!!