Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:26:13 -0700
From: Thomas Boylan <tboylan@asu.edu>
Subject: Network traffic
To: Raymond Gibson <raybass@asu.edu>

Raymond, it has come to our attention that network traffic, outbound from your room over the last few days, constitutes over 80% of ALL University outbound/default network traffic. The identified domain name associated with this outbound traffic is somaholiday.dhcp.asu.edu. This DNS name is associated with your ASURITE ID, hosted from your room. This inordinate amount of network traffic has the appearance of inappropriate network activity as identified in the ASU Acceptable Use Policy. You can find this policy, on-line, at: http://www.asu.edu/it/fyi/policies/acceptableuse.html. It reads, in part, under Requirements and Prohibited uses, Item B, number 19, that "Interference with or disruption of the computer or network accounts, services, or equipment of others is prohibited." Please cease this activity immediately, or provide evidence that traffic is strictly related to your academic work. It would also be in your best interest to read Section VI in the above stated policy, regarding Violations and Enforcement, which could come into effect should you disregard this notice. You must reply to this e-mail, within 24 hours of this notice, to confirm that this activity has ceased. Please contact me if you have any questions related to this matter.


Tom Boylan
Support Systems Analyst, Pr.
ASU Residential Life