Bravo, freshmint, for giving the the world the straight dope on The Planets. I have come across a lot of bad information about the authorship of pieces of music inspired by The Planets, specifically that Holst wrote Pluto: The Redeemer, or Pluto: Lord of The Underworld, or Earth: Bringer of Life, etc. In an effort to clear up this confusion, I would like to add a list of compositions inspired by, and some times performed with The Planets, along with their authors.

  • Ryan Shore has composed three pieces for the Mars DVD, one each for the Earth, the Sun, and Pluto.
  • Joey Roukens has written a piece called Earth: Bringer of Life. All the information about this person and his music is apparently in Dutch, so that is all I know.
  • Colin Matthews composed Pluto: The Redeemer
  • The film The Planets: Epoch 2000, directed by Don Barret has an additional piece for Pluto.
  • Mark Grace has also apparently written three pieces inspired by Holst:
    • Sol: Bringer of Light
    • Earth: Cradle of Creation
    • Pluto: Ice Wanderer (Tombaugh's Tune)

I have also heard a piece called Pluto: Lord of the Underworld. I have been unable to locate the true author of this piece, although the mp3 I have of it incorrectly attributes this piece to Holst. There is another mp3 floating around out there incorrectly attributed to Holst, entitled Earth: The Home of Man. At least as far as titles go, Colin Mathews is most true to Holst's original ideas, in that the piece is named by reference to Pluto's astrological significance, rather than by its place in the Roman pantheon.

If any one has any more information about these or other pieces inspired by The Planets, especially those incorrectly attributed to Holst, please let me know.