The Confessions of St. Augustine (397 A.D.), is a spiritual autobiography; the story of a young Augustine who overcomes his un-Christian lifestyle (although not so scandalous by today's standards) and is led by God to a state of grace.

The first nine books trace the story of Augustine's life, from birth in 354 to just after his conversion in 386. Augustine treats this autobiography as much more than an opportunity to recount his life, however, and there is hardly an event mentioned that does not have an accompanying religious or philosophical explication. In fact, the events that Augustine chooses to recount are selected mainly with a view to these larger issues.

The last four books depart from this structure to focus on other issues such as memory (Book X), time and eternity (Book XI), and an interpretation of the Book of Genesis (Books XII and XIII). All of the themes treated in the last four books have already been introducted in the first ten. The last two books are a particularly good example of Medieval biblical exegesis.

As a whole, The Confessions of St. Augustine is a story of the return to God, of Augustine, everyman, and all of Creation.

For more see the node: The Final Three Books of St. Augustine's Confessions are Themselves a Trinity

It would be nice if others with writeups that softlink to "Confessions" or "The Confessions" would softlink to this node instead, since so many different authors have written works with this same title.