Nickname sometimes given to Portland, OR due to its many bridges across the Willamette River. There are 11 bridges in total. Their names, in geographical order, south to north:

The Marquam Bridge and Fremont Bridge are freeway bridges, carrying I-5 and I-405, respectively, and carry only motor vehicle traffic. The Railroad Bridge 5.1 carries only rail traffic. The Steel Bridge carries motor vehicles, light rail (MAX), and heavy rail (freight and Amtrak), as well as pedestrians and bicyclists. All others carry motor vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists.

Notable Portland bridges: Hawthorne Bridge is the oldest bridge for motor vehicles and oldest continuous span in Portland. Railroad Bridge 5.1 is the oldest bridge in Portland, though the span was replaced in 1989. The span of the Fremont Bridge, a Suspension bridge was built in Japan, then shipped to Portland and raised into place. The Steel Bridge is the only telescoping drawbridge in the world.

In addition to the 11 Willamette bridges, 2 highway bridges cross the Columbia River connecting Portland, Oregon with Vancouver, Washington. These are the Interstate Bridge (actually two bridges), carrying I-5, and the Glenn Jackson Bridge, carrying I-205. Both of these bridges carry bicyclists and pedestrians.

Every August in Portland is held the Bridge Pedal, an event where most of the city's bridges are closed to motor traffic and cyclists and runners cross them. It is the largest recreational cycling event in the country, with 15,000 participants in 2000.