I had a vision, just the other day, and it frightened me. Indeed, it bothered my very soul. In this "vision", 'I saw and look, a great crowd which no man was able to number'. This great crowd was filled to the brim with thousands of American children, bearing skateboards, punk rock clothing, and tee-shirts with old punk band names or semi-pop-political statements. They were indeed, walking advertisements for capitalist America.

When I approached this crowd of misled youth in my beat-up old truck, blaring a favored Dead Kennedys tune, they all turned their attention to me. "What is that shit?!" some would reply, while others murmured, mocking the song on my radio; California Über Alles. Needless to say, I barely made it out with my life.

Why is it that every kid in punk rock get-ups, with spiked & dyed hair, think they know what punk music is? When in reality, they get their music information/merchandise from the likes of MTV, or Hot Topic, or the radio? Even the kids who listen to Dead Kennedys because they want to look like a true punk, couldn't even possibly fathom the political message presented, or the era in time it came from.

Why is it that a so called punk wearing a clash, or a dead kennedys, or an operation ivy tee-shirt, never actually heard one of their songs? Because punk is dead. Punk music no longer stands for what it once did, except in the heart of those still trying to keep the flame alive. The punk attitude itself may still exist to those who truly understand the message, but the music genre is certainly dead. Punk, today, is just another trendy stylish way of dress portrayed in some magazine at your local newsstand.

Punks are certainly a dying breed, but for some reason corporate america wants to suck what little lifeblood is left in this washed up culture. Why? Why must they pester us so? Because of greed. They will make sure they get every last penny they can by exploiting this culture. Perhaps it's time to let go.

Hey kids! Hate your parents?! Hate your life?! Hate being just another normal upper middle class teen-aged suburbanite? Need to release your teen-age angst?! Then do something about it! Rebel! You too can be different, just like everybody else! Buy these tee-shirts bearing old punk rock band names! Dye your hair blue! Or better yet pink! Or Red!! Buy these plaid bondage pants, with zippers and countless chains on them! Wear spiked dog collars, and wallet chains! Buy a studded belt, then spike your hair up with extra-strength pomade!

Show the world, and your parents, your not gonna take it! Be pro-anarchy! Damn the man! Then give us all your money. Sound familiar? It does to me. Think about it. Perhaps I should get a life. But You trendy punk folks certainly make everything I do, look all in vain. Punk isn't dead, it just deserves to die...

Although this subject has certainly been discussed many times before, I felt the need to confront it once more. This is simply due to an excess amount of pseudo-punks popping up left and right on MTV, and I know for a fact I'm not the only person tired of seeing them exploit this culture. MTV has the kids hooked on them like heroin, they can't go a day without a hit or two. It really is sad to see how easily swayed the kids nowadays can be. They are so easily fooled into blowing their money on things they think will make them look cool, or different.