This is a large heavy blanket filled with feathers, usualy placed on the top of the bed above the other blankets and sheets. Its presence makes the bed quite warm and cozy even on the coldest nights. It is also great for snuggling under. Turns out that 'comforter' is the word used in the United States while other english speakers use duvet in its place. (this was brought to attention courtesy of holloway)