The Revolutionary War, or the War for American Independence, took place in America between 1775 when the first shots were fired at Lexington Green until 1784 with the ratification of the Treaty of Paris. No one event can be pinpointed as the cause of the Revolutionary War, but the basic difference in attitude between the American colonists, who felt that they were entitled to the same rights as all English citizens, and the British attitude that colonies were there to serve the economic interests of the empire, were the main point of contention.

Can anyone say inevitability?

Taxation Without Representation

Fighting the French and Indian War had caused Britain to incur debts, and to relieve this financial strain, the British understandably sought to generate revenue from the colonies that the war had been fought to defend. The Stamp Act of 1765 was passed by the British Parliament to defray the cost of securing the American frontier. It was a tax on all printed goods, the first tax that the American colonists had paid directly to England, and was not recieved with enthusiasm by the colonists. Between the time the act was passed (March) and the day when it was supposed to go into effect (November 1 of the same year), Patrick Henry presented the Virginia Resolutions claiming that only Virginia legislature had the right to tax Virginians and The Sons of Liberty was formed. Due to the opposition, the act was unenforceable and was repealed a year later. (However, on the same day, the Declaratory Act was passed, giving the British government total power over laws in the colonies. One step forward, two steps back.)

Another unpopular act passed in March of 1765 was the Quartering Act, requiring American colonists to both house and outfit British soldiers in their homes. The New York assembly's refusal to comply with this led to violence between British soldiers and New York colonists in August of 1766.

Back to the taxation issue, in 1767, the Townshend Revenue Acts are passed, taxing imported items such as paper, tea, glass, lead and paints. In Februrary of 1768, Samuel Adams writes a letter protesting taxation without representation and containing instructions on how to oppose the Townshend acts. The difficulty in enforcing these acts lead troubled customs officials to call in the calvalry, if you will, and in May 1768, a British warship sails into Boston harbor, which doesn't stop the Bostonians from locking up a customs official while they unload illegal wine. Boston customs officials decide that they've had enough of this, and escape to go crying to the crown. In March 5, 1770, five men are killed in the Boston Massacre. The Townshend acts are then repealed, and the Quartering Act was not renewed.

The Boston Tea Party -- the most fun had by grown men dressed up as Indians this side of the Village People

On May 10, 1773, the Tea Act takes effect. This act maintained the tax on tea that had been in effect for the previous six years, and gave the East India Tea Company a tea monopoly, able to undersell American merchants. In October, colonists held a meeting in Philadelphia to decide what to do about the tea tax, and they forced the resignation of British tea agents. One can only imagine threats and violence were involved here...

The tea guys in Boston obviously had more of a backbone, they weren't so easy to get rid of. They tried to send a ship full of tea back to England without paying the import tax, but the Royal Governer won't let the harbor officials send the ship off until the taxes get paid. On December 16, 1773, Bostonians dump 342 pounds of tea into Boston Harbor.

In response to the tea party and other acts by the colonists, the British Parliament passes the first in a series of Coercive Acts or Intolerable Acts (depending on which side of the Atlantic you hail from). In March of 1774, the Boston Port Act shuts down all shipping from Boston Harbor until they make restitution for the Boston Tea Party. The Massachusetts Regulating Act and the Government Act were passed in May of 1774, ending colonial self-rule. The Quebec Act extended Canadian boundaries into colonial territory. A new Quartering Act is passed as well.

First shots

In the fall of 1774, the First Continental Congress meets in Philadelphia. They declare that the Coercive Acts are not to be obeyed, and agree to boycott British imports. The colonists prepare for war. April 18, 1775, 700 British soldiers are sent to destroy a colonial weapons depot at Concord. Paul Revere made his famous midnight ride, and the colonists are warned of the impending 'attack'. They face the Brits on Lexington Green. The shot heard 'round the world was fired (to this day, no one is sure which side let off the first shot), and the Revolutionary War was officially underway. The British manage to destroy the colonists' depot, but suffer casualties on their retreat to Boston, and colonists amass an army.

The Second Continental Congress convenes in May of 1775. Fort Ticonderoga is also captured by American forces. On June 15th, George Washington is appointed to head the colonial army. Two days later begins the Battle of Bunker Hill, which the Americans lose managing to take half the British force with them.

At this point, the Second Continental Congress passes the Olive Branch Petition, a last ditch attempt to reconcile with the motherland. King George III won't even look at it, declares America to be in an open state of rebellion. Crown to Colonies: Bring it on.

Thomas Paine's famous tract, Common Sense, is published in January of 1776, criticizing the crown, urging for American independence from Britain. In March, the colonists take Boston.

On July 4th, 1776, the Continental Congress formally declares independence.

Times That Try Men's Souls

In August, George Washington's army suffers a severe defeat in the Battle of Long Island, and is nearly forced to surrender. The Americans escape at night, and live to fight another day. New York City is evacuated, and the Americans win the Battle of Manhattan in September. October of 1776 brings about a crushing defeat for the newly founded American Navy in the seven-hour Battle of Valcour Bay. More bad news for Washington's boys as they suffer heavy losses at the Battle of White Plains.

Things aren't looking good for the Americans. The British forces continue to beat back Washington's troops. Writes Thomas Paine:

    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country: but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like Hell, is not easily conquered. Yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

Washington and his troops recross the Delaware River on Christmas of 1776, and take Trenton, New Jersey after surprising a force of British-Hessians. Washington then defeats British troops at Princeton.

In April, Benedict Arnold is victorious at Ridgefield, Connecticut. On July 6, 1777, Fort Ticonderoga is taken by the British, stunning the colonists. A Vermont militia wins the Battle of Bennington in August, but in September, General Washington and his army are driven back in the Battle of Brandywine Creek.

The first major American victory of the war occurs on October 7, 1777 at the Battle of Saratoga. Ten days later, the British army headed by General Burgoyne surrenders to the Americans and are sent home.

General Washington spends the winter at Valley Forge. At this point in the war, European nations enter the fray. France declares its support for American independence (formerly, only providing financial assistance), Spain sides with France.

The next major battle of the Revolutionary War occurs in June at the Battle of Monmouth. American and British troops fought to a standoff. In the fall, the Americans suffer another defeat as they attempt to 'liberate' Savannah, Georgia from the British. There's another hard winter for the Americans.

In May of 1780, the British capture Charleston. At this point, Washington is facing mutiny. The American victory in the Battle of Springfield is followed by a string of defeats -- Americans in South Carolina are defeated by troops under General Cornwallis (900 killed, 1000 captures). A defeat two days later at Fishing Creek, South Carolina allows Cornwallis to begin an invasion (abandoned later that year) of North Carolina.

Benedict Arnold's true colors are revealed on September 23, 1780. He had been collaborating with the British for the past year and a half. He becomes a brigadier general in the British army. Bastard.

Reversal of Fortune

Another cold winter for George Washington, two mutinies among American troops in January of 1781. In the south however, Americans are victorious at Cowpens, South Carolina. Cornwallis's troops set up shop in Yorktown, Virginia, and the American forces and French navy join forces. A French naval victory in September grant the French control of the Chesapeake and cut off a possible British retreat via water. On September 28, Washington's troops begin a seige of Yorktown. Cornwallis surrenders on October 19, 1781, ending any hopes for a British victory in America.

Peace talks began in April of 1782 in Paris. In November, the Americans and the British sign a preliminary peace treaty, one of the conditions being a recognition of American independence (the condition that stymied peace talks in 1778). Peace treaties between England and the European powers who had supported the colonists were signed as well.

The Treaty of Paris was signed September 3, 1783, and is ratified January 14, 1784. This event marked the official end to the Revolutionary War.


I will admit freely that this node is written from the viewpoint of a girl who grew up with a history-obsessed father living in America and learning out of patriotic textbooks. As always, any corrections/additions/suggestions/comments are welcome. So are alternate opinions and perspectives.
Sources:
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/revolution/
http://www.multied.com/revolt/