A British pop band consisting of Rod Argent (keyboard), Paul Atkinson (guitar), Hugh Grundy (drums), Colin Blunstone (vocals), and Chris White (bass) who recorded from 1964 to 1967. Although they achieved some moderate success in Britain, they hit it big in the U.S. as part of the British invasion following in the footsteps of The Beatles and The Yardbirds.

The Zombies were not nearly as prolific or as experimental as The Beatles, but were well known in their era for three hit singles: "She's Not There", "Tell Her No", and "Time of the Season". Their albums backed up the singles with varied, remarkable songs that still hold up musically and poetically. Their predominantly minor-key songs included a number of jazz-influenced sounds and chord structures, as well as an interest in counterpoint and quotes from early classical music. Colin Blunstone's distinctive vocals gave emotional power to their lyrics - usually romantic, but sometimes literary, nostalgic or political - and suffused them all with loneliness and desperate longing.

Influenced: the Doors, the Byrds, the Kinks, and others. Band members Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone are still active musicians, and played shows together in spring of 2001.

Albums:

Sources:

  1. Odessey and Oracle CD liner notes
  2. Zombie Fan Page: http://members.aol.com/bocad/zom.htm
  3. CDNow biography: http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=197414596/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/discography.html/ArtistID=ZOMBIES/select=biography