A professional camera body by Nikon.
- Type of camera: Integral-motor autofocus 35mm single-lens reflex
- Picture format: 24mm x 36mm (standard 35mm film format)
- Lens mount: Nikon F mount
- Lenses usable: Nikkor and Nikon Lenses having Nikon F mount
- Focus mode: Autofocus, and Manual with Electronic Rangefinder
- AF Area mode: Single Area AF and Dynamic AF selectable
- Autofocus area: Five selectable focus areas
- Autofocus mode: Single Servo AF with Focus-Priority and Continuous Servo AF with Release-Priority
- Focus tracking: Automatically activated when subject moves
- Exposure metering: Three built-in exposure meters - 3D Color Matrix, Center-Weighted and Spot.
- Metering range: (at ISO 100 with f/1.4 lens) EV 0 to EV 20 in 3D Color Matrix and Center-Weighted, EV 2 to EV 20 in Spot
- Exposure mode: Programmed Auto, Shutter-Priority Auto, Aperture-Priority Auto and Manual
- Shutter speeds: Lithium Niobate oscillator-controlled speeds from 1/8000 to 30 sec. (in 1/3 step); electromagnetically controlled Bulb setting
- Film speed range: ISO 25 to 5000 for DX-coded film; ISO 6 to 6400 can be manually set
- Dimensions (WxHxD): Approx. 6.2 X 5.9 X 3.1