Some other quick notes about the hagfish:
- They have no jaws. Instead, they have two raspers above their tongue.
- They are functionally hermaphroditic, meaning that while they have both male and female sex organs, they mature as one or the other, but have the capacity to change.
- They have an incredibly low metabolism, and may need to eat only once every couple of months.
- They can be found in great numbers in the colder ocean waters of the northern and southern hemispheres.
- It is now known that while they do consume dead or dying fish, their diet consists principally of marine worms and invertebrates.
- Despite the fact that they may be the most repulsive species of fish, over 5 millon pounds of hagfish is consumed annually in Korea.