Despite what the name might have you believe, the front leaning rest is not a restful position. Anyone in their right mind (this obviously excludes military members) would call this the pushup position or something more indicative of the truth.

The term is coined, as is inferred above, by the military. The front leaning rest is achieved by maintaining four points of contact with the ground - the palm of each hand and the toe of each shoe/boot. Your body should form a generally straight line from your shoulders to your ankles. Your feet should be no more than shoulder-width apart. Your arms should be locked. Your head should be up, eyes looking straight ahead.

The proper way to assume the front leaning rest from the position of attention involves a two-count move. On the first count, you bend your knees and bring your hands to the ground, resting just outside your feet. On the second count, move all of your body weight onto your hands and kick your feet backwards, keeping them together, so that your legs fully extend. You are now in the all powerful front leaning rest.

Once in this wonderful position, you will either be asked very nicely if you would like to do some pushups, or be courteously suggested to stay still. Again let me emphasize how unrestful this position is.

To recover and assume the position of attention, reverse the order of the two-step process you used to get there, and await further pleasantly requested exercises.