Though not an offical group, the term Kiwanis Family
refers to a group of organizations sponsored by Kiwanis International
. All of these organizations share community service as their primary goal.
- The parent organization of the Kiwanis Family. Kiwanis was formed in 1914
originally as a professional group (similar to Rotary
or Lions Club
), most of Kiwanis' membership is now older. This age trend is being combatted. Kiwanis' emphasis is service to children
Kiwanis International Foundation
- The KIF is the arm of the Kiwanis Family that fundraises
for charities and also gives grants to worthy projects around the world.
Circle K International
is the branch of the Kiwanis Family that is comprised of college students. Service, Leadership , and Fellowship are it's official aims. It was started in Washington
, though the first offical club was at Carthage College
- This organization is a European group that tries to address some of the issues of bringing CKI and Kiwanis to younger age groups. It can primarilly be found in Italy
and is seeing declining popularity due to policy changes
enacted by CKI to help internationalization.
Key Club International
- Formed in California
in 1925, Key Club is the High School branch of the Kiwanis Family and has over 200,000 members.
- Kiwin's was started in 1973
because Key Club
was an all male organization until 1975
. This group exists only in the California-Nevada-Hawaii District, but is still quite active, despite the fact that both Kiwin's
and Key Club
are now open to both genders.
- Builders Club is the branch of the Kiwanis Family for middle-school
students. It is one of the younger organizations of the Kiwanis Family.
- Kiwanis Family for grade school students. Currently this group is in its infancy (bad pun intended
- Aktion club's target membership are individuals with mental or physical handicaps
. This is the newest sponsored program of Kiwanis International