Wrecking Crew was an old Nintendo game that had a construction theme. This particular title was available on the Nintendo Entertainment System, and in the arcades on three different hardware platforms, the Nintendo Vs. Unisystem, the Nintendo Vs. Dualsystem, and the Play Choice 10. The Play Choice version and the home version were completely identical, while the Vs. version only varied in a few small ways.

You control Mario in this game, although he is a contruction worker, rather than a plumber like he usually is, and he looks a bit different as well. To complete each level you have to smash everything breakable on the screen with your big construction hammer. There are 100 different levels to conquer. Many of the levels can only be completed one way, and making a single error will cause you to fail at your task. It is very easy to get stuck if you are not careful. Each level has several enemies, but you have no way to attack them directly. They usually move in a semi-random pattern that tends to make them pop up in all the wrong places at all the wrong times. Very few of the levels can be completed without having to do quite a bit of enemy dodging.

Wrecking Crew used a NES feature that did not exist, that is the ability to save your custom levels. The level editor was there. You could make custom levels and then play them instantly. But there was also a save and load menu, which did not do anything, Excitebike had this same menu as well. The instruction manual said that an expansion for the NES that was "coming soon" would be used with these features. It has been 18 years, and I am still waiting for that expansion to come out.

This title is much longer and has far more replay value than any of Mario's other early titles, even the venerable Donkey Kong only had four levels, while this game has 100 different levels, and is far more challenging. The graphics and music do not really push the capabilities of the hardware, but they are decent enough that they don't really get in the way of things.

You have several options if you would like to play this title yourself. The NES version and the arcade versions are both emulated by several different emulators. The original Nintendo Entertainment System cartridge should be available cheaply on eBay or in your local used games shop. This is a good title to have, since it was one of the games available when the NES first launched. If you have Nintendo Vs. arcade hardware, then you can convert your existing Vs. game to this title simply by burning an EPROM and a color PROM, and installing them on your Vs. motherboard. The MAME romset for this game has the proper files inside the zip archive.