Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Answer
Model Number: 1002
Rarity: 10 Extremely Rare+
Year of Release: 1983
Programmer: Uncredited

This is not the Gauntlet you think it is. The first video game ever to go by the name Gauntlet was completely unrelated to Atari's later arcade hit (which by the way, was actually based on the Atari 7800 game Dark Chambers). This extremely rare title by Answer is based on the idea of "running the gauntlet", that is quickly moving through an area filled with danger.

This game is best described as dirt skiing down the most dangerous mountain in the world. You are actually running, but the physics of your movement are almost identical to those of skiing. There are obstacles everywhere (logs, snakes, etc), and arrows and tomahawks are fired across the screen every few feet. This game is an exercise in frustration. I wasn't able to go more than 30 seconds without hitting an obstacle. Usually it was more like five seconds. You can jump by pressing the red button, but you jump so far that you will often crash into the next obstacle because of your jump. Thankfully the game gives you a very healthy energy bar, but even that doesn't make this game playable.

Collectors Information

This is one of the rarest known Atari games. It was only available by mail order. There was no box or manual included with this title, only a thin foam case. This game is worth at least $500, but may go for much more.