Melanie Mitchell received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Michigan in 1990. Her dissertation work with Douglas Hofstadter was on cognitive modeling of high-level perception and analogy-making. From 1992 to 1999 she was Research Professor at the Santa Fe Institute, and directed the Institute's program in Adaptive Computation. From 1999-2000 she was a staff member of the Biophysics Group at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. She is currently a researcher at the Santa Fe Institute and directs the Institute's Educational Outreach program.

She is interested in: intelligent systems and machine learning, complex systems, evolutionary computation and artificial life, decentralized parallel computation in spatially extended systems such as cellular automata, understanding how natural systems perform computation, and how to use ideas from natural systems to develop new kinds of computational systems; cognitive science, particularly computer modeling of perception and analogy-making, emergent computation and representation, and philosophical foundations of cognitive science.

Here is a part of her bibliography:

  • Analogy-Making as Perception by Melanie Mitchell. MIT Press, 1993. ISBN 0-262-13289-3.
  • An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms by Melanie Mitchell. MIT Press, 1996. ISBN 0-262-63185-7.
  • Adaptive Individuals in Evolving Populations: Models and Algorithms edited by Richard K. Belew and Melanie Mitchell. Addison-Wesley, 1996.
  • The Copycat Project: A Model of Mental Fluidity and Analogy-Making, Douglas R. Hofstadter and Melanie Mitchell, In K. J. Holyoak and J. A. Barnden (editors), Advances in Connectionist and Neural Computation Theory. Ablex Publishing Corporation, Norwood, NJ. 1994.
  • Analogy-Making as a Complex Adaptive System, Melanie Mitchell, To appear in L. Segel and A. Cohen (editors), Design Principles for the Immune System and Other Distributed Autonomous Systems. New York: Oxford University Press.
  • and many others...


Borrowed from http://www.santafe.edu/~mm/