Don't you just love potato salad? One of the coolest things about it is that there are so many different ways to make it. I'm especially fond of ccunning's wonderful blue cheese potato salad, and a nice warm German potato salad is always delicious. I ran across this recipe recently, and found it very similar in flavor to the German variety, but with some important differences. I modified it some and found it most toothsome. See if you agree.

Ingredients:

2 lb. red potatoes
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tbl. dijon mustard
¼ cup olive oil
1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
2 tbl. capers, drained
½ cup fresh oregano, chopped
1 ea. dash of Tabasco sauce, salt, black pepper
Preparation:
Thinly slice cleaned potatoes with skins and run under cold water to remove starch. Bring a 3 quart or larger saucepan of salted water (about half full) to a boil. Add potatoes (carefully) to water. Let the water return to a boil and cook potatoes just until they are done in the center, about 5 minutes.

While the potatoes cook, whisk together the red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Note that fresh ground pepper is preferred here, if you have a mill.

Drain the potatoes in a colander and quickly rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking any further. Once drained, pour potatoes into a very large mixing bowl and drizzle the oil/vinegar/mustard mixture over them. Toss if necessary to insure that most of the potatoes are coated.

Add the red onion, capers and oregano. If you don't have fresh oregano available, the dried variety works okay, but fresh is much better. Toss thoroughly, and add salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste. Serve at room temperature if desired, or refrigerate for an hour and serve cold.