The most memorable martial arts move for children of the 80s because of its prominent use in the movie "The Karate Kid". The move basically consists of you standing on your right foot, arms held up with palms facing down, and your left leg sticking out slightly bent at the knee. You then kick out with your right foot and land your left foot on the ground for balance.

Lots of people have asked whether it was really Pat Morita on the stump practicing the kick. Nope...it was Shihan Fumio Demura, Morita's stunt double. Morita can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag and would be hard pressed to stand on a stump with even two feet.

This damned kick move left such an impression on kids that pretty soon, every kid would be practicing it on each other on schoolyards, resulting in plenty of bloody noses and bruised egos.

It's a pretty stupid move and doesn't seem to work well when you're in trouble since it leaves you pretty open to attack. Look at yourself in the mirror doing it...your hands are up in the air and you're standing on one foot...how easy would it be for someone to take you down with a foot sweep or for someone to knock you to the floor from behind? Just because Johnny in the movie was stupid enough to run straight into Ralph Macchio's foot doesn't mean that the big biker in front of you is going to do the same. Some of us learned that the hard way. Suffice it to say, if you've got any sense of logic, you don't want to be performing this at your next barroom brawl.