Every year the Staleny Cup is hoisted over the victorious shoulders of individuals from one fortunate team. What most people do not know is what happens to the Stanley Cup after the cameras turn off and the fans go home. An official tradition began in 1995 of having players of the winning team spend a day with the Stanley Cup. Long before the official tradition, the cup has turned up in some unpredictable places.

  • Early 1900s - A forward thinking capitalist member of the Montreal Wanderers who also happened to own a bowling alley displayed the cup in a trophy case. As the story goes he used the cup as an impressive ashtray and trashcan combo for gum and cigars, thus impressing friends and bowlers.
  • 1905 - The Ottawa Silver Seven had Bo Jackson beat by several decades playing multiple sports. After winning the trophy members of the team punted the Stanley Cup over the Rideau Canal on the Ottawa River. This might seem physically impossible now, but in those days the cup wasn't much larger than a football. The trophy was found the next day on the ice.
  • 1906 - The bowl of the cup has been used by victorious players for many practical purposes. After a photo shoot with members of the Montreal team, the cup was forgotten at the photo studio. Leaving no good bowl to waste, the local photographer's mother used the cup to plant geraniums, to decorate the studio window until hockey officials relieved her of the silver vase.
  • 1924 - Another Montreal team, another forgotten cup. This time the Montreal Canadiens, traveling to a victory party at the team owner's house, pulled over to fix a flat tire. Only after arriving at the party did they realized the cup was left behind. Luckily for them, the cup was recovered on the road where it was left untouched, just a mile and a half from the party.
  • 1927 - King Clancy of the Ottawa Senators found a practical use for the cup. Apparently having an abundance of junk mail and space at a premium, Clancy used the cup to collect his mail, stray pencils, chewing gum, and cigars.
  • The Stanley Cup has had many lovers, and occupied the beds of many married men. New York Islander Bryan Trottier once said, "I wanted to wake up and find it right beside me. I didn't want to just dream of this happening."
  • After a night in bed, the Stanley Cup usually takes a hot shower. Steve Yzerman of the Detroit Red Wings once took a shower with the Stanley Cup.
  • 1962 - Chicago is known more for their blues music than their hockey. So it may not seem surprising that during a playoff game between the Canadiens and the Chicago Blackhawks, a fan took the cup out of the Chicago stadium display case, telling police outside that he was merely returning it to Montreal, "where it belonged."
  • 1980 - Having no clean dishes left in his apartment, New York Islander Clark Gillies allowed his dog to eat from the cup.
  • 1987 - The 80's was a glutinous time for many people, including those in Canada. After the Edmonton Oilers won the championship, the cup ended up across the street-- naked-- on the runway with an exotic dancer at the Forum Inn.
  • 1991 - In a move that would have made Jacques Cousteau proud, Pittsburgh Penguin Mario Lemieux sank the Stanley Cup to the bottom of his swimming pool. Not to be outdone Avalanche goalkeeper Patrick Roy completed the same feat.
  • 1994 - Not to be out done by the glutinous 1980's, Mark Messier of the victorious New Rangers took the cup to a strip club in New York City.
  • 1994 - Hopefully before the strip club, Ranger Ed Olczyk let Kentucky Derby winner Go For Gin eat from it.
  • 1996 - Colorado Avalanche defenseman Sylvain Lefebvre had his daughter baptized in the cup.
  • 1996 - Looking for a more creative use for a large silver trophy than a container for junk mail, dog food or baptised children, Brian Noonan found the cup an ideal rolling pin to make biscuits with while appearing on MTV.