In his ever so famous Ender's Game book seriesOrson Scott Card creates his own version of the Internet, several years before it's movement from ARPA, Universities, and Big Business to the rest of us.

In his conception there are e-mail, Usenet, and later philotics giving birth to the ansible. The first real use of this Internet is by Valentine and Peter Wiggen who borrow their fathers account to not be represented by children on a sort of Usenet. They later move on to get their own aliases as Demostenes and Locke. This Usenet is highly moderated with accounts having ages and levels of access assigned to them. Through the false identities the children give political messages, create a movement, and eventually rule the Universe as the Hegemon. E-mail, in that system, is really just a private message using the same universal account. And last but not least the Ansible is high speed internet access (instantaneous at all distances).

Another area in which he had some pretty neat ideas was that of software. In the start of the book Ender is using a futuristic ray tracing program similar to Bryce. The battle school game (similar to laser tag in Zero-G) is quite an amazing idea that I hope can one day come into existence. Later Ender starts playing an arcade fantasy game, where you can do basically whatever you want (within the bounds of the games reality). This idea for a game genre has become somewhat realized with the Sega Dreamcast game Shenmue. He also basically makes the entire game concept for Homeworld in the Commander School's one game. For those of you who haven't played Homeworld yet, the games over view mode is different colored dot's representing your ships and your enemies ships in 3D.

Given the fact that the book was originally published in 1985, this represents revolutionary thinking in the way we might one day use computers.

About a year before this William Gibson first publishes one of his most famous novels: Neuromancer. His view of the future and networks (his global network is called the Matrix) is quite a bit more grim. This book is a major move in defining cyberpunk as a genre. He includes an odd sort of cracking through the use of cybernetically implanted chips. Gibson also first coins the term cyberspace.

For other technology predicted by Science Fiction see: Isaac Asimov,George Orwell,Aldous Huxley,Philip K. Dick,Harlan Ellison,Octavia Butler,and Robert Heinlein.