i was in the local grocery store today and saw a fruit that i'd never seen. it was greenish-yellow, very wrinkled, and looked rotten. it is about the size of a grapefruit but is bell-shaped and looks like it's been dropped on the ground. it is appropriately called "ugly fruit". it is from jamaica. the label said it was a naturally occuring cross between tangerines and grapefruit, and was described as "acidy sweet and very juicy".

it was easy to peel. the skin was thick, and the inner skin was tough. the sections fall apart from each other easily. the first bite proved that the label didn't lie about juiciness. it was juicy to the point of being a nuisance. the juicebombs on the inside of the fruit were HUGE. easily quadruple the size of orange juicebombs. it was tart like an orange but not sweet. i may not have picked a ripe fruit, given my lack of knowledge of ugly fruit. i liked it, despite, as i tend to enjoy things that are more tart than sweet. the tremendous amount of juice was only barely manageable through stragetic lip placement during the bite. eating the slices whole would help if you have a larger mouth than i. the inner skin was annoyingly tough. the fruit is so juicy and tender that you don't have to chew it and are left chewing just the skin. i would recommend eating this fruit like a grapefruit to avoid the skin. those who prefer sweeter fruit could also add sugar.

the ugly fruit does not, in any way, shape or form, rival the perfect orange.