not only do guys in the military enjoy watching this, little white girls such as myself do too.

for me, the draw of the UFC is in watching and learning from the diverse fighting styles displayed in these tournaments. as a martial artist, i can see what works and what doesn't in full contact, no rules competitions (no rules being a bit of an exageration -- see the rules section below).

the UFC, in my opinion, has proved that in order to win an all-out, no holds barred fight, one must be proficient in fighting on the ground, where all fights seem to inevitably wind up. you might be able to kick like an action star, but when a wrestler gets you on the ground, those kicks aren't good for much.

Rules

the events may be single elimination tournaments, or a series of bouts. bout lengths are at the discretion of the promoter, but championship and superfight bouts are usually 20 minutes.

fighters must wear mouthguards and groin protection.

fouls result in fines and disqualification after any combination of three fouls. fines are $500.00 for the first, $500.00 for the second, and $1000.00 for the third. all of the following can result in a foul:

Winning

a winner is determined by:

Weight Classes

Heavyweight................200+ lbs
Middleweight...............170-199.9lbs
Lightweight................150-169.9lbs

there are oftentimes specialized bouts where different weight classes fight against each other such as the "David versus Goliath" bout which pitted small against big.

Interesting Characters of the UFC

Dan "the beast" Severn (9-3) and Don Frye (9-1) seem to be cut from the same mold, they look quite a bit alike and have the same magnum p.i. moustache and itty-bitty speedo style shorts. Both are highly aggresive wrestlers who have shown dominance in gaining control of their opponent on the ground.

Tank Abbot (8-7) appears at first sight to be nothing more than a a huntington beach street thug who decided he was bad ass enough to take on large scale competitions. he is, admittedly, a tough guy, but winds up being beaten because he hasn't got the stamina (he's got a distinct beer belly) to continue fighting for long periods of time and seems unable to handle himself well on the ground. his style is listed as "pitfighting".

royce (pronounce "hoyce") gracie is easily one of the most famous UFC fighters in the history of the competition. a record of 11-0-1 makes him stand out as the most accomplished UFC fighter of all time. his stamina is huge, and he could continue fighting for hours until an opportunity for a joint lock or choke hold presents itself. he is a slight man, however gracie jiu-jitsu focuses on conserving energy which has helped him to overcome much larger opponents (such as Dan Severn).

and of course, the wonderful referee, Big John McCarthy is a UFC staple personality. he starts every match shouting "Let's get it on!" and has a great attention to the well-being of the fighters.