Born John Daniel Singleton on January 6, 1968 in Los Angeles, California. The son of unmarried parents who lived apart and therefore was raised in separate households, Singleton went to the Filmic Writing Program at USC in 1986. While there, he won three writing awards , which led to a contract with Creative Artists Agency during his sophomore year.

After Spike Lee, John Singleton is probably the most famous African American director in the world. His first film, at the age of 22, was the ghetto drama Boyz N The Hood, which brought him the distinction of becoming the youngest person and the first African American ever nominated for an Academy Award for director. Singleton followed up this prestigious beginning to his career with Poetic Justice starring Janet Jackson and the late Tupac Shakur, Higher Learning and the much acclaimed Rosewood, which was based on the true story of a 1920s massacre in a small town in Florida.

In 2000, Singleton presented his remake of a 1971 film,Shaft, which previously starred Richard Roundtree.This time, however, the bad-ass Armani-clad hero was portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson, who easily lifted political incorrectness to new heights and pleased a large summer audience even if reviews were mixed. Singleton followed this glossy, flamboyant exercise with a more sensitive follow up to Boyz 'N the Hood with Baby Boy starring Tyrese Gibson and Omar Gooding. He followed this with another major blockbuster, 2 Fast and 2 Furious starring Paul Walker and Tyrese again. Obviously believeing in Tyreses's talents and banking abilities, Tyrese again stars in Singleton's latest crime drama, Four Brothers. John Singleton received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on August 26, 2003.

Director Filmography:
Producer Filmography:
Writer Filmography:

Sources:http://guardian.imdb.com/Name?Singleton,+John http://www.fourbrothers.info/movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html