Today's been one of those one step forward, two steps back sort of days. For instance, I had a dermatologist appointment today, which meant that I could sleep in a little bit. Unfortunately, my little girl had a nightmare, and I had to rock her back to sleep at 05:30. I never quite got back to sleep. After the alarm rang, I got up, showered, ate, and all that. I looked at my Zire 21 to figure out where the quack's office was. I packed up and left.

I drove and drove and drove. I was really pushing it (being on time, that is) and I was running out of road. Fuck, I thought, I wrote down the wrong address. Backtrack, and floor it to where I thought the office really was. Naturally, I catch every red light, and since it is now full-on rush hour, my blood pressure is through the roof.

The appointment itself? Anticlimax. I got my treatment, my prescription, and left.

I am strongly considering getting back into homebrewing. I haven't told the wife yet. She got me homebrewing equipment for Christmas a long time ago, but by March we decided we were on a road to alcoholism and quit drinking. I sold or gave away all my gear. Recently, we started drinking again, in moderation. Honestly, neither of us cares for getting drunk (and consequently getting hung over.) But she loves wine and has started learning about it, and I have started drinking beer. Under normal circumstances, we drink one or two beverages a week, usually at gatherings of friends. But there's a bunch of beer left over from my birthday party, and I got her a bottle of wine for her birthday, so we've had one drink a night, which I've heard is actually pretty healthy.

But I have gotten a hankerin' to restart the Hammerbeck brewery. Unfortunately, that would involve me spending money I don't have for equipment I cannot afford. I have been scanning homebrewing websites and the homebrewing node here. I can get away with some shortcuts, it turns out. For instance, if I can talk a restauranteur out of a 5 gallon bucket or two, then I have a free fermenting tun.