The censorship of literature by the rabid Moral-Majority-cross-grabbers is one of the greatest threats to our freedoms, as Americans, in all of history. The fact that these screaming fools are quoting madness and demanding the government sanctioned stripping of intellectual persuits of The People for The People even today is sick. Everything from Where's Waldo (nudity) to Naked Lunch (where to start) is considered fair game for atempted banning.

These moral few may no longer have the backing of America's bulk for nation-wide censorship of books, but they still hold some strong sway over classrooms and small towns. Argument can be made that this is how some places are. That conservative values are prominent, and they should be allowed to go about their own lives and descisions as they see fit. Issue here being that censors are not only enforcing their private values on people who may or may not feel the same, but they are playing the mental Fascist with children who might, then, never know some of the most beautiful works of written artistry from across the globe.

Another argument is that of pornography. Reasonably, there is a need for certain laws against such crimes as child-pornography. However, I fail to see why the Diary of Anne Frank should be placed in the same category. If these books are not totally removed from the shelves should we sell them in the same sealed baggies of Penthouse and Playboy? I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and Ginsberg next to Stuffed in sidewalk magazine carts.

After all, why do we tell our children to be so grateful for living in America? Why do millions of immigrants come here? Freedom of the mind. Freedom of personal belief and choice. To surpress one of the few redeeming qualities left to America is cruel and sad.