Vegetarian French Onion Soup

Essentially the same as the above two recipes , except for the stock is made with mushrooms. If you don't like mushrooms, this recipe isn't for you.

To make the stock, you will need 1 pound of mushrooms. I used portabella because they were on sale, I am sure this would taste just as good with button. Slice them up, and sautée in butter or oil until they are dark and mushy. This should leave you with a nice brownish liquid in the bottom as well. If you didn't start in a stock pot, move it to a stock pot and add just enough water to cover the mushrooms. Let it simmer for about 1 ½ to 2 hours (adding water as needed).

To this stock I added about 3 tbsp of red wine and about 1 ½ tbsp of soy sauce and about 3 tsp of sea salt. You may choose to add less salt, but French onion soup tends to be on the salty side because of the beef broth typically used.

Cut up about 4 cups of onions. Place them in a skillet and cook them until soft (with a lid so that they don't brown). When soft, add about 1 ½ tbsp of flour to the mix, stir it in, and then dump the onion/flour mix into the stock. Let this boil for about 30 minutes.

Section into soup into bowls, and place some dry two week old bread into the soup. Top this with guyere or swiss cheese and bake until the cheese is stuck to the bowl and brown.





I just made this, and it's very good.