Joe Satriani grew up in Long Island, New York. A phenomenal solo artist in his own right, he also is responsible for the instruction of guitar gods Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet of Metallica. As a young man, he toured extensively around the world with various groups before returning to the states in the early 80's to form the Squares, which folded in 1984, due to failure in the pop market. This failure actually gave Satriani the freedom to expand his experimental ideas in guitar playing, composition, and actual guitar building. Soon, Satriani had released a self-titled EP, and began a short stint with the Greg Kihn band, playing on their album Love And Rock 'N' Roll.

Satriani then wrote and released his first full-length solo album, Not Of This Earth, which was soon followed by the more finished and successful Surfing With The Alien. Without the aid of any vocal parts, this album went gold, and brought Satriani into the public eye, despite the general opinion that musicians like him were too technical and complex for commercial production. In 1988 he formed a more stable lineup, consisting of bassist Stuart Hamm and drummer Jonathan Mover.

Known for pushing his instrument to its limits and beyond, Satriani has since expanded his talents to include banjo, harmonica, and vocal tracks, which can be heard on his more recent albums, most notably Flying in a Blue Dream. His 1993 double-album release Time Machine contains old and new tracks, and several live tracks from his Extremist tour in 1993.

In 1994, Satriani joined Deep Purple, replacing Ritchie Blackmore, and has continued to produce solo albums. If you ever get a chance, check him out at G3, a more-or-less annual tour hosted by Satriani, Steve Vai, and whoever else they ask to play with them.


satriani.com
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/satriani_joe/bio.jhtml