WOWEE WOW WOW.

Those of you who think Aeon Flux is just the hottest, coolest, most bad-ass babe ever, that Trevor Goodchild is the modern Iago, that the Demiurge may be controlling your thoughts and that a custodian is a thing that goes in your belly-button, be ready for disappointment. The movie... well... here are some examples.

The fantastic, unexplained love-hate relationship between Aeon and Trevor?

GONE.

The amoral, loveably cruel, sardonic, wonderfully wicked Aeon?

ELIMINATED, and replaced by a killer-with-a-heart-of-gold, cliché-spewing pansy.

Trevor's insane idealism?

SUBTLE, AT BEST.

Deep, thickly-layered plots, conveyed often without even the use of dialogue?

YOU MUST BE JOKING.

Aeon's anarchic tendencies?

BYE-BYE. Now she's a government spy. With a family. Who are all dead.

THE TAGLINE FROM THE SHOW WAS "I TAKE NO SIDE!!!!*" COME ON!



Okay, the rant is over. Visually, it's a good flick. If you've never seen the show, see the movie first. If you've seen the show, try not to think of the movie as even remotely based on it. Maybe you'll like it. Here are the credits (such as they are):

Charlize Theron...........Aeon Flux
Marton Csokas.............Trevor Goodchild
Jonny Lee Miller..........Oren Goodchild
Sophie Okonedo............Sithandra
Frances McDormand.........Handler
Pete Postlethwaite........Keeper
Amelia Warner.............Una Flux
Caroline Chikezie.........Freya
Nikolai Kinski............Claudius


Directed by Karyn Kusama. Written by Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi.

NOTE: Peter Chung, who created Aeon Flux, had nothing to do with this movie, which should be a comfort to diehard fans.

My advice? Save your money. Skip the film, and maybe go buy the new animated Aeon Flux director's edition boxed set.
Actually, there were a couple of taglines. The other biggie is (when Trevor in voiceover says "you're skating the edge," Aeon replies: "I am the edge."