French chronicler
Born c.1156 Died 1212

Robert of Auxerre was an inmate of the monastery of St Marien at Auxerre. At the request of Milo de Trainel (1155-1202), abbot of this house, he wrote a Chronicon, or universal history, which covers the period between the creation of the world and 1211. For the years previous to 1181 this is merely a compilation from Prosper of Aquitaine, Sigebert of Gembloux and others, but it is an original authority for the period from 1181 to 1211. It is one of the most valuable sources for the history of France during the reign of Philip Augustus, and it also contains information about other European countries, the Crusades and affairs in the East. Molinier, in fact, describes the author as one of the best historians of the middle ages. Robert was evidently a man of great diligence and of sound judgment. Two continuators took the work down to 1228 and it was extensively used, by later chroniclers. The original manuscript is now at Auxerre.

The Chronicon was first published by N. Camuzat at Troyes in 1608; the best edition is in Band xxvi. of the Monumenta Germaniae Historica, Scriptores, with introduction by A. Holder-Egger.

Robert has been identified, but on very questionable grounds, with a certain Robert Abolant, an official of the monastery of St Marien, who died in 1214.

See A. Molinier, Les Sources de l'histoire de France, tomes iii. and iv. (1903-1904).

Being the entry for ROBERT OF AUXERRE in the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, the text of which lies within the public domain.