Technically, the Ship on the Shore is a small public house located on the northern shore of the Isle of Sheppey in Kent. The pubs name however, has sprung from the small and at first rather nondescript building beside it.
Thought to date from the middle of the 19th Century, the structure could be mistaken for a concrete shed, but closer examination would show the perculiar design of the building materials. The major componant of the buildings fabric are perfectly formed cement barrels, stacked up with any holes filled in with local flint, tile and brick.
During the 1800's, the cement industry flourished in Kent, which led to an increase in shipping within the Thames Estuary as raw material was transported down the river. It is thought that a local wreck of a cement-powder carrying barge led to the accidental formation of the cement barrels, which were then salvaged by the local Sheppians and used to build the odd little structure. There is no clear purpose for the building's creation, but the local story is that it served as a net-house for local fishermen.
The building was something of a tourist attraction during the 19th Century, but has lapsed into obscurity in recent times. None of the dedicated Sheppey websites mention it's existance, but should you ever be passing through, then the Ship on the Shore can be found on the coastal road to the east of Sheerness.
@@ N51:26:23,E0:46:59 @@
Kent Curiosities by John E. Viger. 1992, Dovecote Press